Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

getting music onto the 'puter

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by FLOYDtheBARBER, Feb 2, 2003.

1. okay, i dunno if this is the right place to ask or whatever, but here goes:
    my band is trying to get some gigs, and we (well, actually my singer) gave two of our songs to this guy in a band called Steel-Shed. and he likes what he hears! we have a few more tracks on CD to give to him, because he wants to hear more. however, there are a few recordings we recently did ourselves on a portastudio my drummer just got. and we want him to hear them. so, if we take a 1/4" to 1/8" cable from the portastudio's headphone output jack and plug into the mic jack in the computer, will we be able to record it right into windows sound recorder or some such basic program, as a wav file or something? i'm not a computer guy, so i dunno much.

2. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Uhhhhhhh, your way sounds confusing. If your just trying to record into the computer,,, Record is a horrible program to do it. Now this doesnt mean you have to go buy a muge, expensve studio, there is a program called "N-Track" you can get for only 20 bucks,,, and free,,,I MEAN,,,thru various sources...but IIIIII would never do such a thing. just letting you know whats up;) . if you wanted alot of mic's, you would need a mixer to hook up to your soundcard, and plug the mics into the mixer. I don't have expernce with your recorder, but those inputs/outputs don't sound like they would do that job..... I'm not sure.

(I know, standerd sound cards suck, but i was thinking of cheap, easy)

But if anything, you could just try.

3. i don't want to record into my computer, or record into the portastudio and then into the computer; i want to get stuff that we already already recorded into the computer, from a portastudio. like, plug the portastudio into the computer and hit "play".
    meh; it's not going into MY computer, actually, so if it screws up and everything explodes, i really don't care.
    i thnk i'll just try it. thanks though.

4. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Yeah, getting a 1/4" to 1/8" jack and plugging it straight from the portastudio into the mic input will work, and sound recorder will produce a wav file. But, the quality is likely to be crappy - depending on your sound card. For one - it will be in mono, presumably. And, if your sound card only has 8-bit A to D on the mic input, then it will be really crappy quality.

There's probably a better way of doing it. What kind of portastudio is this? What make/model? What is it recording onto?

5. uh..idunno; it's my drummer's. it's just recording onto a cassette tape. but we can't play the tape for the guy; it doesn't play in tape players at the same spped that it records:confused:

6. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    No, you won't be able to play the tape in an ordinary tape player. For one, it will record at a different speed, like you say (probably double speed), and - (if it's a 4-track), it will use both sides of the tape at once. Result: if you play it back on an ordinary player, you'll get it half speed, and you'll only get 2 tracks :) And, if you play the other side, you will get the other 2 tracks, at half speed - backwards!!! :D

You may as well try taking a 1/8" to 1/4" and taking it from the headphone out to the mic in on your computer, and recording with sound recorder or somesuch. Give it a go - but the quality may well be crappy.

Failing that... what other sound inputs does your computer have? Try it with the other inputs, but I don't suppose it will be any better.

You could just mix it down onto an ordinary cassette? Unless you have a standalone CD burner you could use...

7. i dunno; it's not my computer. and, y'know, the whole me-being-a-dufus thing. so i'm not sure.
    i'll probably just put it into the mic-in jack, see what happens.
    i like listening to the stuff in a normal tape player-it's freakin' hilarious! half speed drum fills and what not make me crack up.
    i guess i could plug the 1/4" to 1/8" cable into a cassette recorder's mic jack instead of a computer. no standalone burner, though. i'll try to remember to try the computer and a casette recorder.
    thanks for the help!:)

8. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    No problem :)

Don't forget to let us know how it went.

9. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    I might mention that the sound recorder in Windows can only record for 1 minute at a time. Besides, it´s absolutely horrible.

10. Johnalex

Johnalex

Jul 20, 2001
    South Carolina
    There is an absolutely free software out there called Audacity, it is pretty simple to use and actually very good. You can do a lot of editting with it. I use it as my wav editer with Sonar..and it is absolutley free.

Here are the ways I would maybe transfer it:

1) Use the Portastudio's steroe outputs into the soundcards steroe inputs, that is only if you have a steroe sounds card. A good sound card is a wise investment.

2) Use the headphone jack output (1/4) to the computer's line inpuet, do not use mic you will losse frequency response and most likely distort the mix.

There really is not other way of doing it, at least I dont think. I had the same problem with my old 4-track a few years back.

So just plug into computer, push record in software, push play on Tascam and there you go. Thats it.

11. Like a big dog

Like a big dog

Jun 18, 2001
    Texas, USA
    I was just wondering how much quality is lost from dropping the size of the input from 1/4" to 1/8". I am planning on recording straight from my amp and I was going to invest in a Soundblaster Live Drive for my Live soundcard so that I would have a front 1/4" input to record to. I hadn't decided on the software yet because I knew the software would be worthless without a good connection.

I want to record using the XLR port on my SWR workingman 15. So I guess the main question is, does it matter that I go from the XLR port to a 1/4" adapter to a 1/8" line in? Or should I invest the $50 in a Live Drive with a 1/4" line in?

12. I think I'd try using MusicMatch. It will let you record using the stereo line in from the sound card. The recorder probably has a left and a right 1/4 out. Get a 1/4 Y to 1/8 stereo patch cord. Download the FREE Music Match software from www.musicmatch.com and follow the directions that come with the software. Good luck.

13. Adamb154

Adamb154 Guest

Nov 10, 2002
    I record good sounding bass through my crappy guitar using the 1/4 to 1/8 mono cable, and plugging it directly into my microphone jack. I use Cakewalk Sonar 2.0 XL to get the rough copy down.

14. wushuguy

wushuguy

Jan 9, 2002
    Flagstaff, AZ
    I have a quick question. I tried recording from my amp into the computer, from the line out in my amp, to the record 1/8 in the soundcard. I tried recording using Total Recorder and Cool Edit Pro, and get nothing. So I plug in a cheap mic to try and record from that, and still get nothing. The soundcard is an ESS Alegro built into my Compaq motherboard (cheap, I know, but it should still record, right?). Any ideas on what could be the problem?