1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

getting my 2nd bass.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Victor Yotz, Apr 19, 2015.

1. Victor Yotz

Victor Yotz

Feb 13, 2014
    Hello. So I've been playing for almost a year now and am looking to get a 2nd bass. I currently use a squier p bass and there's nothing wrong with it but I'd like to explore more sounds now and want one that has a slimmer or shorter neck. At GC I found sr1800e ibenaz, jazz bass and the Gibson SG to be my favotite in terms of sounds\feel but they're all to way expensive. I played on a used g@l l2000 bass at a shop yesterday and enjoyed the sound because it would go as deep as a Gibson and as sharp as a jazz while slap and at $600 I thought it was a good deal. The only thing is the neck is the same as my p bass which I feel is too big for me cause even though I can play on it well I'm always having to stretch a lot (esp on the top frets of e string) and I'd like a slimmer neck but for the sound and price I'd really like to get it. I'm not too excited about the feel but the sound/price is incredible. I'd like to hear others opinions on this matter and advice (FYI I play classic rock - JPJ, Jack Bruce, McCartney and funk- Larry Graham, James B, and will begin more styles such as country very soon).

2. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    It's up to you...but here's my .02/story-
    After the 1st bass ('72 short scale Epiphone)...came a '64 P-bass (in '75). Big difference in neck size!

Then in '78 I bought two basses: a MusicMan Stingray & a Schecter P-bass (Schecter, at the time, was an upstart company specializing in Fender-style basses).
    Note: All these basses (except the Epiphone) were 1-pickup instruments. In the early '80s, every bassist I liked seemed to be playing a Jazz.
    So, I added a bridge pickup on the Schecter & it really opened things up for me. In the later '80s, I began assembling my own homebrew Jazz basses...while trying out a variety of pickups. Here's the thing: Every one of them (4-5) had the exact same Warmoth Jazz-style neck.

You're early in your development...so it may not matter to you (yet).
    At some point, I realized I was a "Fender" guy...meaning all those hours spent on Fender-style instruments = a certain amount of muscle memory.
    So, in order to keep it simple with angles & such, I stayed with Fender-style instruments.
    I ventured outside once with a "Tobias" (Nashville) bass; it literally stayed in the case until I sold it at a big loss.

FYI: JPJ, Larry Graham, & even McCartney played Jazz basses.