Getting my amp signal to powered speaker??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassrique, Jun 13, 2020.

  1. I tried the archives to no avail. I have a TC Electronics BG250 208---->> speaker out ---->> Ampeg SVT 210AV. This utilizes the full 250.

    I had an idea to give this little rig a kick on the bottom with an active cab. Let's say a Mackie Thump 15A.

    The owners manual is light on this other than to say don't directly plug an amp in. Does that mean 1/4? Does that mean the balanced out?

    I am brand new to active speakers and am clueless enough to damage both my amp and the powered speaker.
  2. Mingo Sanders

    Mingo Sanders

    Mar 11, 2008
    Austin, TX
    The Thump 15A manual (here shows that it can accept a wide range of input signals from low level signals like mic and instrument level to high level (unpowered) signals like mixing board outputs. Spend some time reading the manual to get an understanding of what it can do. To use your BG250 208 with the Thump 15A, you would need a mic cable connected from the balanced out on your amp to an input on the 15A.

    If you don't have a manual for your amp, here's one:

    Can you take your bass and amp to a local music store to ask if you can try it with some powered speakers they have on display? They might even have a 15A you can try before you buy.

    I'd also suggest describing the real world music setting you're experiencing that makes you want to get a 15A. The collective experience on this board might have a better (and far cheaper and far lighter) solution for you. Come back here with your questions. Good luck.
    lunarpollen likes this.
  3. Redbrangus

    Redbrangus Supporting Member

    Nov 19, 2018
    Under The X In Texas
    Without commenting on the appropriateness or desirability of doing what you're trying to do, I'll offer this: the BG-250's XLR balanced out is (approximately) line level, so it should be able to drive a line-level input of a powered speaker without a problem. If the powered speaker uses a 1/4"-TRS line-input connector, which I think is likely the case, then you'd need a female XLR-to-male TRS adaptor cable. On the Mackie stuff, I think the XLR part of the combo input connectors are only mic level, so you can't use a regular old XLR mic cable to do the interface -- you'd overdrive the mic input on the powered speaker. So you'll need that adaptor; they're available on-line.
    lunarpollen likes this.
  4. Jeff Hughes

    Jeff Hughes

    May 3, 2020
    I would use a DI box. Plug your bass into the DI. Send one 1/4” out to your amp and one XLR mic cable out to the Thump.

    The thumps are very boomy. The name is not just marketing.

    This way you can EQ the two separately rather than just sending the amp eq and making it louder.

    This is how a lot of soundtechs get bass signal. Most amps have an XLR DI out these days though.

    I prefer this when we have PA support since I can tweak my amp and turn it up a little without affecting the mix.
    spvmhc and westrock like this.
  5. Redbrangus

    Redbrangus Supporting Member

    Nov 19, 2018
    Under The X In Texas
    Using a direct box and going into the mic input will also work, but isn't really called for. The amp DI out is switchable pre or post EQ, and the powered speaker has EQ as well. OP isn't trying get an input into a PA system, he's trying to put together his own awesome rig of doom from some odd bits and pieces. Rock on... I guess. OP: I dang sure would try to audition this kludge before laying out my hard-earned might not be the sort of aural nirvana you're imagining. :D
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2020
  6. This would be for experimental EDM / Tim Lefebvre type stuff. The Mackie even has HPF - like settings. I will take a lottle time to digest your answers. Thanks!
  7. What would be a cheaper alternative (<$350) for electronic music? Drum machine (maybe a live drummer) keys, and looping 5/6 string bass groves with an emphasis on the B string?
  8. Nothing.
    What you are looking at are Portable PA Top Boxes, made to be placed on top of pole stands at head level. They preform some lows but mostly mid and highs pretty good for a portable unit.

    Sounds good, deep bass and cheap. Sorry you can only pick two. :(
    Part of Hofmann's Iron Law. Click>Josef Anton Hofmann - Wikipedia

    Again remember these are PA Top Boxes, there is a reason PA's use Subwoofers.
    bassrique likes this.
  9. The Makie manual says it's made to be on the floor and than a couple of paragraphs later say the treble cone should be a couple of feet about audience head level.

    Makie sells a sub too.

    I like jazz, classical, funk and heavy metal. I like it all. I have a sound in my head of music I'd like to experiment with, and it's strong at the fundemental low b string notes. I am in no rush. I will keep studying. Thank you
  10. I guess my BG250-208 and Ampeg SVT 210AV are fairly traditional, no? For small events just the combo is fine. For something louder the Ampeg fits the bill. I can't add more to that in the traditional way. The devil is in the Ohms. To go EDM, I can just plug into a powered cab and shake bones with a five-banger? It's a bit more complicated than I thought. Perhaps others want something similar when their rigs are "topped out"?
  11. Just run a cable from the balanced output on the back of the amp to the input of the powered speaker. Start with the volume low on the powered speaker, and then bring it up until you get the desired balance of sound with that of the amp.
    seamonkey and bassrique like this.
  12. seamonkey


    Aug 6, 2004
    Many wanting more power, just need more power on lows.
    Powered subs usually include a crossover, so you can try to run the line out into a powered sub. And if you need more top end add a powered coming off the sub.
    Do the same thing @lunarpollen pointed, start off with volume low on the sub.
    bassrique likes this.
  13. JeezyMcNuggles

    JeezyMcNuggles Supporting Member

    Feb 23, 2018
    Santa Maria, CA
    I suck, but nobody really notices
    If you have a "headphone out/di out/send" on that head, you can run that straight into it no problem.
  14. Mingo Sanders

    Mingo Sanders

    Mar 11, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Without mentioning any specific brands, you can buy a new 500 watt powered sub for $350 that will work with your existing gear. Please understand that 500 watts in a subwoofer will add some low end to your rig. In medium to large size rooms, it will probably not achieve what I think you are seeking. Is there a system in a nightclub in your local area that sounds good to you? Ask the owner how much power the subs in the system have. Low end that people describe as "sub" requires large amounts of power as a proportion of total system power, and it goes up very fast as the size of the room increases.
    bassrique likes this.