1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Getting my first bass!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Joesoef, Nov 22, 2010.

1. Joesoef

Joesoef

Oct 2, 2010
    Jakarta
    My dad has finally agreed to get me a bass for my birthday :bassist: even though he's confused why I didn't ask for a 'more musical' instruments hahaha

I've been thinking about what kind of bass I will get. I'm interested in the fretless, because of it's unique look and sound but I want to play rock, and learn to slap.. and from what I heard is not possible in fretless, but what do you guys think? Is it good for a beginner to immediately start from a fretless?

2. rabid_fish

rabid_fish

Aug 24, 2010
    dude, millions of threads like this one... you should search for 'em...

3. snyderz

snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    If you're new, AND want to slap, I'd go fretted.

4. DaLoCo

DaLoCo

Jun 16, 2010
    South Africa
    Get the fretless....if you have good intonation. If you cannot hear if something is slightly out of tune you might have an issue with it.

As for genre....if it booms it can play it. Most people don't use fretless for rock, but that does mean you cannot play rock on it. Slap can gouge the fretboard...but that can be fixed with a coat of epoxy or superglue....search for threads on how to do that.

Try and play a fretless first to see if you like it. Looks should be about third or fourth on your list for now....first learn to play, then learn to look cool.

5. Venom of God

Venom of God

Oct 8, 2007
    Australia
    THIS! I fell victim to that bug when I started, went out and bought myself a shiny new Epiphone Explorer. I had it a few years and thought it was awesome- I then played an old, beaten up Squire Jazz bass and realised how terrible my Epi really was. Less than a week later I'd sold the Epi and bought myself a second hand MIM Fender Jazz with a Seymour Duncan pick-up upgrade and fell in love with playing bass.

These days my main gigging bass is a Gibson Thunderbird, which looks, sounds and plays great, but I still play the Fender just as often and will never part with it. In fact, I think my next bass will probably be a MIA Jazz. I'm going off on a tangent.. point being, get something that plays nice and you'll get a lot more enjoyment from your instrument than something that you think looks cool now while you're young.

6. Huge

Huge Hell is full of musical amateurs. Like me.

Dec 2, 2005
    Edmonton
    Get what ever bass you'll want to play the most. If you don't want to play it, you probably won't.

EDIT: Welcome to the bass playing brotherhood (or sisterhood).

7. FretlessMainly

FretlessMainly

Nov 17, 2010
    I've used fretless for rock for years - no problems there. But it's not really good for slap, as the frets play an integral role in the slap technique and tone. It's not that you can't do it on a FL, but it won't sound quite the same; less snap and bite, which is a big part of slap.

8. Show your dad this and ask him how much more musical of an instrument does he want you to play?