Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Getting my first DB that i will own...

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Aaron, Dec 31, 2001.

1. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    My aunt is trying to buy back a bass from a friend she gave it to because he isn't playing it anymore. She first planned on getting it for my brother, but then she figured out i played upright a lot more than my bro, and is reconsidering. She already gave my cousins instruments around their graduation. My brother is getting close to graduation (that is why it was originally going to be for him), but she figured if i was going to play it more than him, she would get him something close to my graduation. Understand?

Well, the problem is that i have never played the bass or heard it or have seen it. I really need my own upright. I can't borrow a bass forever from my school district. She said it sound good and it was a good player, but that is her opinion, not mine... It is extremely generous for her to do something like this, but what do i do if it isn't all that great, and i want to buy my own? My brother probably won't be very interested in it (he only plays upright when he is forced to). Should i have her keep it? She is from KC and she may drive up here (seattle), for a festival (she would bring it along.)

She said it was a german bass with solid wood, not plywood, but i don't know a whole lot about upright makers. I think it is a 5/8 size (she said it is slightly below standard) which i am used to.

Thank you for your input.

2. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    If you don't want it, I'll take it!

3. Get on line with the rest of us, Ray!

4. Don't look a gift something or other in the ....a

Don,
    The line forms behind me.

Oldsaw

5. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Whatta cool aunt you have....

6. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Well I'm not a DB player yet, but have investigated this several times. When I spoke to a few dealers over here, they said that a good setup and decent strings could work wonders for most Double Basses.
    So maybe it would be a good idea to go for this before giving up on the Bass . That is - take it to a reputable dealer or bass maker and ask what they could do with it - probably cheaper than buying a whole new Bass.