Getting my first stack, help?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jenderfazz, Jan 19, 2004.

1. Hey there. I'm looking to improve in the amplification department, and I'm interested in getting some kind of stack to replace my combo. However, it's not as though I can just plug in and pick my favorite - there's a lot of choice between heads and cabs, and which sound good together. Any tips or suggestions on choosing a good first rig? I'd be interested in getting something less than 200 watts to start, so what should I look out for? Thanks.
  2. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    If you want less than 200 watts, you are better with a combo. Just because it is a stack, it doesn't make it a better amp.

That being said, it's really about what you want to spend and what sort of sound you want. That starts with where you want to go stylistically.
  3. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    I believe Peavey makes a 160 watt head for around 200 dollars.
  4. Ralphdaddy

Ralphdaddy Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    I'd say get a GK 400RB head used if you're looking for low power, although I'm not sure less than 200 watts is gonna be useful for much of anything, especially with an 8 ohm cab.... I'd say look on ebay and those type of places for a good deal on a used quality head with some balls to it and pick it up. Avatar cabs are amazing for the price, I highly recommend their B212 or B410, they also have a single 15 for only 240 that handles 600 watts. Good luck with the purchase.
  5. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    Marshall JCM 9000. ;)

Don't know why you'd want such low wattage :confused: I guess you could get an SWR Workingman 2000. It runs 170 watts @ 8ohms. You could pair it with a WM4X10.
  6. CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    IMO, it's not worth going to stack if your looking for less than 200 watts. A combo amp can do that and be one package. The weight savings wouldn't be significant enough to warrant going to a stack for 200 watts. Example: my rack weights nearly 50 pounds and is 2000 watts, i have a single 1X15 cab that handles 600 watts that weighs 60-70. My BassMan 200 weighs 62 pounds and is 200 watts. I now do more work carrying the different parts but i also have 10X the power [once i get another 8 ohm cab i could use that whole 2k watts].

If you want a stack-go for some power. Otherwise-stick with a combo, smaller, lighter, and less to worry about.

However, YMMV.

That's all
  7. Thanks for all your suggestions.

Basically, my reasoning is that I can get a decent cab and head and eventually add to it. I was looking into getting a 2x10 around 200 watts to start, and adding a 4x10 a bit later when I have enough money (good ol high school years!).

I guess a combo would be a good idea because this amp would mostly stay at our drummer's house, where it wouldn't move too much, and a >200 watt stack wouldn't cut it for gigs anyways. I'm not very knowledgable in the amp department so I'll keep trying many amps and figuring out what suits my needs.