Getting my hands on a Japanese 62 reissue Jazz Bass, what to know?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by InstantEctobass, Aug 25, 2019.

1. InstantEctobass

InstantEctobass

Feb 18, 2018
    France
    Hi there y'all! :)

It appears that the quest of the holy graal doesn't ever stop... unless... well, unless there's nothing more in the wallet. Oh wait, no, it's not effective at all... MORE SERIOUSLY: I'm a classic and simple guy, I love Jazz Basses, I can play what I want to with them, and they make happy whenever I see their good looking offset body (huhu).

Next target in the aim: a Japanese 62 reissue. I like their look, their rosewood fingerboards with the vintage frets... the original headstock shape that comes with them... and so on.

But before pulling many hundreds from my wallet, what should I'll be looking to get a good one? Are they are any years recommanded? Any model in particular that outstands the others? I am currently having my eyes on a 1999 Fuji-Gen made model with the smaller tuning heads. For example, would that be an important point to look after?

Thanks for your kind help! :woot:

Last edited: Aug 25, 2019
    jamro217 likes this.
  2. Biffa

Biffa Inactive

Apr 16, 2019
    County Durham, UK
    82-84 JV series are the holy grail of MIJ models as they were built to a very high spec during a transition period at Fender USA

getbent, ajkula66 and jamro217 like this.
  3. Leonid Nidis

Leonid Nidis

Jan 1, 2018
    Aim for a model that has the letters US in the name(like fender japan jazz reissue 62 US).
    It has alder body and USA pickups.

jamro217 likes this.
  4. InstantEctobass

InstantEctobass

Feb 18, 2018
    France
    Can we find any of that information on the body or neck
    Or is there any visual difference? Or in terms of hardware?

5. InstantEctobass

InstantEctobass

Feb 18, 2018
    France
    To answer my question to myself: JB62-US models have the big tuning machines... they are also always more expensive.

But now I'm wondering if that's really important. Also I'm looking for is a comfortable and well conservated neck.

Aladinsane1969 likes this.
  6. I had a Lake Placid Blue JB62 Jazz with matching headstock like this one that I regret selling every single day: Japan Fender Jazz Bass JB62 MH 1998 Lake placid blue

To my knowledge, the one I had was not intended for export. It had the growliest pickups of any Jazz bass I've owned by far, including a 1990 American Standard, a Noel Redding Signature 1965 Reissue and my current Jazz, a Sherwood Green Adam Clayton Signature.

7. InstantEctobass

InstantEctobass

Feb 18, 2018
    France
    Ah, yeah, Matching Headstock are always something! But I'm looking for the raw maple one this time :)

8. Right on; I've seen plenty of those out there for sale as well!

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 20, 2021