Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Getting my son a Short Scale, but need advice!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by growlysound, Sep 14, 2005.

1. growlysound

growlysound

Jul 7, 2005
    Thanks in advance for any opinions!

I'm thinking about getting a short scale for my 8 year-old son; He's been watching me play for years, and has a passion for detuning my basses when I'm not around. :eyebrow:

So he's asked me for one.

I'm concerned about 2 things:

Is a short-scale too large for an 8 year-old?

I'll put him in lessons immediately, so that he doesn't inherit any of my unspeakably poor technique, but I'm worried about hand/finger overuse. Any methods you can recommend to keep him as injury-free as possible?

Thanks again!

2. darkside 88

darkside 88

Feb 23, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    No way to avoid callousing man, you just have to keep playing.

As for a bass, an Fender Mustang maybe?

3. There's a Greg Bennett short scale that should do the job. My 7yo has been playing a shorty Greg Bennett P bass for about 6 months, it's kinda big for him, but they adapt (or drop it on the floor!)

4. 7flat5

7flat5

Nov 28, 2003
    Upstate NY
    You know, it seems like a 30" bass is not that much smaller than a standard 34. I have a 30", a 34" and two 35" basses, and for a little guy I would think the scale wouldn't make that much difference. A baritone guitar type 25" scale would seem better if possible. Go to a store that has an Epiphone EBO or something and have him try it out. Or, just capo one of yours at the third fret... If he has big hands for his age, it might be OK.
    Tell him don't play if it hurts. I bet that issue will be self-regulating, really.

5. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    OK, I can help here.

I got a scort scale for my son when he was 5, and he rarely picked it up, but that was OK with me. I didn't want to force it on him, but it was there if he wanted to play with it.

He's 9 now, and after messing with it off and on for years, hes now playing regularly, and improving rapidly. I really enjoy jamming with him.

I started him on roundwound strings, light guage, but they really hurt his hands, and discouraged him from playing. I then went to brite flats, but they have such high tension I think it was hard for him to play.

What he has now are half wounds, and I think we hit the jackpot. He can play an hour without complaining, the sound is great, and the tension is right.

He has a bronco, but I've made so many changes and hot rods to it it's not even a bronco anymore.

He's a link to the mods.
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=72332&highlight=bronco
    Mark

6. growlysound

growlysound

Jul 7, 2005
    Many thanks to everyone who responded! I really appreciate the insight and advice!

7. I had lessons on Tuesday and as I walked into my teachers room I saw that his new student was a kid that could be no older than 8. It was the cutest thing I had seen in my life, though he definitly struggled with a normal size bass. My teacher told me that he's getting a short scale Squier(probably the bronco). If I ever have kids they will have to play bass as well. You guys must be proud.

8. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    SX short scale $US109. They only have P's in stock at the moment, but they'll have shorty J's in soon. The J's have a narrower nut which might help too. I'm going to buy one myself.

www.rondomusic.net

9. growlysound

growlysound

Jul 7, 2005
    Yeah, I am pretty proud :) I just want to make sure he gets started on the right foot, so to speak. I started playing bass when I was 12, largely as a rebellion against the torturous Piano lessons I was being subjected to.

10. unity bass

unity bass

Dec 15, 2003
    Modesto, Ca.
  11. Kurt Hans

Kurt Hans

Mar 17, 2005
    Seattle
    There's always the pbass jr. it has a 28.59 scale

12. mikeboth

mikeboth The last thing you'll ever see

Jun 14, 2002
    Tallinn, Estonia
    Operator: prophecysound systems
    Sounds like you had better force him to take piano lessons for a while then ... :)

My daughter (10yo) has shown no interest in anything but drums so far, so I've started her with lessons and a practice pad. If you can't find a good drummer to play with, grow your own! :D