Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Getting my Spector Euro 4 to sound like my Euro 5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by GraffixNyc, Apr 1, 2005.

1. GraffixNyc

GraffixNyc

May 3, 2004
    New York City
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses
    I have two spectors one is a Euro 5 and the other is a Euro 4
    The Euro 5 I got brand new, it has the Aguliar OBP-1 my Euro 4 was bought used and had the older EMG pre amp.I replaced the EMG pre amp with a OBP-1 and have noticed that it has a much more tinny and bright sound then my Euro 5. My Euro 5 has a really nice deep sound and seems to resonate a lot better. I spoke to PJ at spector and he said the fact my 4 is 34" scale and my 5 is 35" makes a little bit of difference but the biggest difference is the pups. the Euro 4 has EMG P/J and my euro 5 has EMG 40dcs. He said to get the tone close as possible to my euro I should use only the P pickup and turn down the J pick up. Will this make a difference? I'm thinking about replacing the P/J pups with 35Dc's (4 string version of the 40DC) but as you can imagine that's going to be some work because they will have to re route for the 35 Dc's. Do you think this is worth doing since it's such a big task? I'm afraid if I get the 35dc's installed the routing will effect the tone as well. Any suggestions?

2. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    I'd leave it it alone. Are you sure the Euro 5 has the Aguilar pre? If you got it new it more than likely has the Tone Pump. If the preamp in it is just a black box with no sticker on it it's the Tone Pump. If you talked to PJ you probably already talked about this.

I would leave the P/J setup and do as told, turn down the J. Size does matter (34-35). I like having basses that have different tonal qualities for different moods and tunes. If you don't like the tone that much sell it and save up for an NS4.

Good luck.

3. Ralphdaddy

Ralphdaddy Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    Are you sure you want two basses that sound exactly the same? Kinda defeats the purpose of having two basses doesn't it?

4. GraffixNyc

GraffixNyc

May 3, 2004
    New York City
    Firkinasoul: yes I'm sure it has the aguilar in it. It was made in late 2003 before they made them with the tone pump pre amp. Why would you not reccomend putting the 35DC's in? I'd have a pro do it. I get all my work done at Sadosky (I know funny bringing a spector there)

Ralphdaddy:
    Yes I want the tone to be as close as possible. If I had two 4 strings or two 5 strings then I can see wanting different tone. But I like my tone of my 5 and just want the same tone for my 4.

5. adam on bass

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    I'll offer this:
    I have had and still have way to many spectors. One of my favorites was an Neck-Thru NS2000/4 (I wish I never sold it). These are setup with EMG/HZ's and are easy to swap for DC's or CS's. I setup this bass with CS in the Neck and DC in the Bridge and an EMG BQC preamp and the thing smoked! You can probably get one of these (NS2000/4) used for the price of the modding of the other and have another bass. If you want DC's I can help you out with that SUPER CHEAP. Just an idea.

6. GraffixNyc

GraffixNyc

May 3, 2004
    New York City
    I also have a NS200/5 ;) How much are you asking for the 35 dc's?

7. adam on bass

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas