1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
    TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Getting New Amp, Need Recomendations...... Here's my needs/situation.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Modern Growl, Aug 29, 2005.


    Ok, so I'm finally going to get a new amp. Now what I need is nothing significant in power. This is going to be a bedroom type amp/combo. 200 watts will be fine.

    No band situation with this, just in the bedroom, but that doesn't meen i want to be skimpy on tone!

    I play w/ a MIA Fender Jazz, and play almost everything. Funk, Jazz. But I like my ballsy growly tone!

    I'm looking for either a 1x15" or 2x10"... doesn't matter. I just don't want the 1"15 to be mud. Portability doesn't matter, its just going to sit in the corner.

    budget, can't go over $800$850 TOPS!! (Only looking for new amp, no used/ebay jobs)

    I"m guessing i'm probably going to get a COMBO, but if a head/cab can meet that price range, feel free to recomend!

    I'm looking for Growl n' Grind. An amp w/ alot of character that will give me a nice Growly tone. Growly Grindy tone is my PRIMARY concern. I'm getting rid of my Fender 250/115 due to its smooth tone. NICE AMP, but too smooth. I want BALLS!!!

    I played a Gallien-Krueger 400RB/115 Bass Combo at Samash the other day and I thought this thing was awesome. Completely growly/grindy. This is what GK is knowl for right??????

    Well, I'm not sure if the GK 400RB/115 or 210 is the best out there for my needs so I'm turning to my TB-ers. Anyone?


    Again, i'm looking for STRAIGHT BALLS!!! Growl/grind w/ alot of character. Oposite of smooth.

    What would your recomend ????
  2. Eric Moesle

    Eric Moesle

    Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    IME, Eden is more "growly/grindy" than GK, and Ampeg is even moreso. You didn't say what your band situation is, what size venues, what type of music you are playing. What are your power requirements?
  3. I edited it, thanks!
  4. From what I've researched/memory, Ampeg combos are a bit warmer/smoother sounding then GK, right?

    Eden is out of price range.
  5. bump! Please help!!
  6. cheezewiz

    cheezewiz Supporting Member

    Mar 27, 2002
    I'm not sure I was clear on your intial post. You are looking for "growl"? ;)
  7. Yes, Growl Please!!! :D
  8. el_Kabong


    Jul 11, 2005
    I haven't used the 15in GK combo but I did own a GK210rb. Good amp, 100% reliable and capable of surprising volume with an extension cab. If you're after growl the 210 puts out a lot of mids which is where the action is. The boost knob is pretty helpful for growl/grind too.
  9. cheezewiz

    cheezewiz Supporting Member

    Mar 27, 2002
    From what you describe, I'd probably go Ampeg. You don't really need 200 watts for bedroom play. I think a B100R would be a good amp for you.
  10. No thanks on the B100R. That thing doesn't growl in the least!??!!?!?!? Unless my interpretation of growl is diffrent then yours. I find the B100R (Which I've played) to be warm, fat and big sounding.

    Not distinctive, high character growl/grind.
  11. cheezewiz

    cheezewiz Supporting Member

    Mar 27, 2002
    Well..it probably doesn't help that "growl" is a completely non descriptive term. Perhaps you could cite an example on a recording of the sound you're trying to obtain.
  12. i'm going to start a new thread comparing the ones I'm intrested in.

    maybe it will attract more popularity.
  13. cheezewiz

    cheezewiz Supporting Member

    Mar 27, 2002
    Or not.

  14. Well I thought I described the tone I'm after pretty well besides using the word Growl.


    "Again, i'm looking for STRAIGHT BALLS!!! Growl/grind w/ alot of character. Oposite of smooth."
  15. cheezewiz

    cheezewiz Supporting Member

    Mar 27, 2002
    Buy a distortion pedal.
  16. thanks buddy - very helpfull.....
  17. Tash


    Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    You want growl in a small amp, the only way to do it is with an effect. Real authentic tube growl requires real authentic tubes, which don't come in small bedroom sized packages.

    Sorry if you don't like the answer your getting but thats the way stuff works.

    I'd try a modeling processor like the J-Station or a premap like the Sansamp RBI though a pair of headphones or a small practice combo. That will probably get you as close as you'll come to real growl in a small package.
  18. cheezewiz

    cheezewiz Supporting Member

    Mar 27, 2002
    No problem. Listen MG, I'm not trying to give you a hard time. From what you describe, you are looking for distortion. As well as you think you may have described the tone you are looking for, you haven't described a thing. Sound is a very difficult thing to quantify. By saying "growl" and "character" you tell us nothing about what you are looking for. I suggested you giving an example of the tone you are looking for. You don't want to do that. That's fine, but don't be surprised when no one can help you based on what you've posted.
  19. Tone i'm looking for is SOMEWHAT like Gary Willis on his solo Album "Bent"
  20. either buy a full valve amp or just get a sansamp BDDI