Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Getting New Bass, need a bit of help

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BassGrowl, Apr 5, 2002.

1. BassGrowl

BassGrowl

Jul 30, 2001
    Ok, i have many choices. Im thinkin bout the ibanez SRX500 or SRX700. Then theres also Warwick thumb (i doubt ill have enuff money soon for that though). I also was lookin at some Spectors, i never have played one or heard one play, so are they any good? I heard they play like warwicks. Well those are what im thinkin of but if you have any other suggestions, tell me.

2. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Don´t decide on a bass just by its looks.

Go to a music store and play as many basses as you can, with your budget in mind of course. Then you should get a feel for what you find comfortable playing and what kind of sound you like.

3. BassGrowl

BassGrowl

Jul 30, 2001
    i didnt decide on looks. I heard there good and was just wonderin, im not that stupid and inexpeirienced to buy one like that, i wasnt gonna buy it till i played one. And ive played the other ones.

4. BassGrowl, what's the high end of your budget? I've never played a Warwick, Ibanez varies model to model and Spectors in general are very good. The ones near $1,000.00 are unbelievable.

Mike J.

5. The thing about the Ibanez Soundgears is that people have a love/hate relationship with the necks, which are small, with tight string spacing. I personally HATE them; I like wide string spacing and tight string tension. But you may like them, who knows. You have to play them first.

6. BassGrowl

BassGrowl

Jul 30, 2001
    about 800, 1,000 if im lucky

7. BassGrowl

BassGrowl

Jul 30, 2001
    i personally like the feel of the SRX, its a bit different than the regualr SRs

8. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    With that kind of budget you´ve got plenty of choices. Especially if you go used.

Used Spectors, Peavey Cirrus, Sterlings and many more should be in your budget.

9. LA

LA

Oct 17, 2001
    Michigan
    I've played the SRX-500's 5-string equivalent, the 505. To me, it felt good, and sounded good. I've never even touched a Warwick (though I had a chance to do so at Guitar Center in Grand Rapids the other day). $1000 will get you a lot of bass, but do your homework: check out on-line reviews, especially the ones at HarmonyCentral . Drive to a large music store where the selection is bigger - you'll get a better idea of what is available. Those are just a couple of suggestions, I'm sure there'll be many more.

10. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    You can consider Carvin too in that range, even with some nice options. Can't play it before you buy it, but they do let you return it for full refund within 10 days no questions asked. They take maybe six to eight weeks to get if you order one special, but there's lots of stock instruments at their website at www.carvin.com available for immediate delivery if you are in a hurry. You can get lots of pickup choice opinions here if you are so inclined to ask. Very good value, and BassPlayer mag consistently rates them highly in their Shootouts.

I have no commerciual interest in Carvin, and the only reason I don't play them any more is they don't make 7's ( I traded my two Carvin 6's fretted and fretless for two Conklin Groove TOols 7's). But plenty of people agree on the value, and they ARE nice instruments.