1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Getting no sound from a Cabinet

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Sutton, Oct 26, 2006.

1. Sutton

Sutton

Mar 3, 2005
    Plainwell, MI
    A friend of mine has an old Avatar cabinet, 212. Anyway, he gets litterally no sound out of it suddenly. It didnt make a pop or anything, just one day it quit all together. We replaced the crossover on it, but it still seems to be dead. Does anyone have a reasoning with this?

PS. No because of an active bass, or a bad head, my Glock sound fine through the head, it is something with the cabinet.

2. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    If you are lucky, it is a loose connection. Assuming the drivers are wired in parallel, you would have to blow both of them, and I think he would have noticed when the first one went. So it's more likely the drivers are OK. It might just be a matter of carefully pulling one of the drivers and taking a look inside.

3. ABH_bassist

ABH_bassist

Feb 24, 2005
    jax beach fl.
    did you try a differnet speaker cable?

ive thought my cab was messed up a few times but i either rocked the cable out of the cab or the cable was dead

4. Sutton

Sutton

Mar 3, 2005
    Plainwell, MI
    Speaker cable is fine.....I'll look into the speaker. Thank, any other suggestions

5. Sutton

Sutton

Mar 3, 2005
    Plainwell, MI
    Probl;em has been found I do think.

I popped out the speakers, one looks fine, the other, well, it looks like someone took a blow torch to it. Here are some pictures. Would this cause both of the speakers to completely not work, or would this possibly be the only problem.

Also, how would something like this happen? A Bad Head? A Bad Crossover?

Thanks for your help guys.

Attached Files:

6. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    That driver is toast, from being seriously overpowered. It's a safe bet that the other also has a fried voice coil, even if it's not obviously damaged.

7. My 8ohm Avatar 2x12 Delta is two 4ohm drivers wired in series...that cannonballed driver is the reason the whole thing stopped working.
    Your friend should call Dave at Avatar, he'll probably give him a deal on a couple of 12" speakers, or he might even warranty them if the cab isn't very old.
    C7