1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Getting older.....

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Uncle K, Aug 20, 2012.

1. Uncle K

Uncle K The bass player doesn't get a sandwich Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2011
    Erie, PA
    I'm turning 40 tomorrow.

I spent about an hour yesterday texting my guitarist back and forth. He said his parents are moving to Ohio, but he is going to stay behind to be with his girlfriend. This guy has no job, no car, and no money; and he knows that has to change. With him finally getting a job I feel this is the end of our pretty inactive band, but I couldn't care less. I'm just so sick of writing egos, girlfriends butting in, revolving drummers, and volume wars.

Yesterday I also backed my long time friend at a coffee house gig. It was great: laid back and a lot of fun. My buddy wants me to back him up whenever I can, but if I can't its not a big deal.

It seems for a while there I forgot why I play music. I was so wrapped up in trying to get gigs and write totally awesome songs that I wasn't having fun.

So as I get older I'm also getting wiser. Life is way too short to get stressed out from your hobbies, and hoarding high end gear isn't appericated by your audience, either.

So right now I'm very content with being just a "fool on a stool." I'm starting to realize what's important, and being in a crappy band that sounds like a million other crappy bands isn't.

2. This^^^^

I learned that lesson a few years ago after about the 4th or 5th time getting involved with something only to see all the fun get sucked out of it and it just become misery to deal with.

Obviously, I'm a slow learner.. But it did finally sink in.

3. slobake

slobake resident ... something Supporting Member

Happy birthday agent 77. Yeah playing music can be a great time and it also can be a real drag. I'm glad you hooked up with your friend at the coffee house. Bringing the fun back into playing music sounds like a great birthday present.

4. Happy birthday.... Looks like you've figured it out!

5. Some call it "losing the dream". I call it being an adult.

:edit: not to mention, hopefully you can find a band like I have: 5 guys who all like their day jobs and don't want to make it. Hell we'd rather have practice than a show. We'll drink through a case of Miller Light, play music, dick around, and have fun. It's a night away from the kids / families / jobs / ******** and just have fun with friends.

6. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I had a bit of an awkward moment this Saturday. We parted ways with our man-child singer at the beginning of the year. For some reason, he decided to show up at the gig on Saturday. It was a bit awkward seeing him, but at the same time, it was amusing to watch a 40-something year old man try and hit on 25 year old girls. Sometimes, you just have to take a look at people and realize how lame they've let themselves become because of their own delusions.

Oh, and I see no problem at all with hoarding high-end gear, regardless if the crowd appreciates it or not. :D

7. Mike M.

Mike M.

Feb 14, 2010
    It's funny how we change thru the years. I'm 59 and even though I work nights I know that if my "day" was turned around I wouldn't want to be in a band anymore. My only gig is about once every three weeks at church and I find that's plenty for me.

I haven't been in a band since '96 and still, the thought of getting up there and playing 4 sets is something that I just don't want to do anymore. Jezz, but I can't even remember when the last time I heard a band at a bar or club was!!

8. Unprofessional

Unprofessional

Mar 5, 2012
    I tell people all the time, "Getting old is just what happens when you don't die". Play it when you want to and don't play it when you don't.

9. your birthday!?!??!!? are you changing your username to Agent78?!?!?!?!?!

10. I'm turning 23 this year and in my mind I'm getting old.

11. Johnny Crab

Johnny Crab ACME,QSC,Fame/Hondo/Greco/HELIX user & BOSE Abuser Gold Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2004
    South Texas
    Happy Birthday.
    Find a band made up of "recovering musicians" & have fun.

On the gear thing, I agree 100%. Put another way about ALL material goods:

"Do you own your possessions or do they own you?"