1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

getting on Internet radio, how to do it?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by KingCrimson, Oct 3, 2009.

1. KingCrimson

KingCrimson

Oct 6, 2008
    Hello all, i need some advise on how to spread our music around, and possibly get on some internet radio stations. The drummer and guitarist in our band were at a local music store once and talked to a guy who worked for a local internet radio station. They talked and he offered to play us if we sent us our demo and the station liked it. Ok so we got one station down, but then it hit me, there are TONS of internet radio stations, and now since the local FM Radio stations don't play underground stuff much i think it would be good to reach out to some internet stations.

Does anybody know where to start with this? Where to search for stations...etc?

2. Jimmy Bones

Jimmy Bones

Feb 24, 2009
    Baxley, GA
    Well, you might try some college stations too, not just internet radio. A lot of them let some student DJs play what they want to play.

Try sending some stuff to them.

http://www.ontheradio.net/radiostations/ktuhfm.aspx

KTUH is completely student-controlled, start with them, then maybe try UF's Rock 104.

3. Internet radio runs the gamut. Sometimes, it's as easy as writing an email saying "hey, check us out, and play us!" That's all that might be needed.

However, if the show has some popularity, or is a service like Pandora, you'll need quite a bit more - like your songs will need to be ASCAP registered, high quality recording production, and some sort of "in" that's better then a "hey, check us out" email, like a stunning press kit.

You can start small pretty easily, and build up over time.

4. scsm

scsm

Jul 26, 2009
    Manhattan, KS
    I'll add to the list of college stations.

I use to be Music Director for this one. I think the staff page is outdated but send your mp3s at 44100 bitrate to the Program Director.

http://wildcat919.com/staff.html

They also stream on the internet, so its like killing two birds with one stone!

5. KingCrimson

KingCrimson

Oct 6, 2008
    thanks guys!

6. John Wentzien

John Wentzien

Jun 25, 2007
    Elberta, AL
    Artist:TC Electronic RH450 bass system (original test-pilot)
    I put a bulletin on myspace that stated I would mail a free CD to any podcaster that was interested in airing our music.

We get steady rotation on over 50 shows all over the world now for the cost of mailing the CD's.

7. crijan

crijan Supporting Member

Jul 6, 2005
    Dallas, Texas
    Endorsing: JH Audio IEMs
    FYI, Rock 104 at UF while partially staffed by students, is actually a commercial radio station with limited flexibility for this sort of thing.

There's a list of college stations on my band 1000 Miles From Home's myspace that added our record, you might try them out first.