Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

getting out of patterns.......

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by slapper3, Jul 14, 2001.

1. slapper3

slapper3

Jan 13, 2001
    I want to solo better and all the solos I make really suck big ones.......anyway, I seem to find a pattern instead of paying attention to chords and keys and theory.....and that's how I memorize scales and modes, by finger postions.....any way to stop this and relearn?

2. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Unfortunately, there's no 'quick fix' answer. The answer is, pay attention to chords and keys and theory...memorize scales and modes by key.

Here's something I do - kind of a split between the 'patterns' method and the 'note name' method, if you will. When I practice scales (I could write a book on that, btw) I sing the note function to myself (by number 1 - 2 - 3 etc). That helps me to solidify what 6 sounds like or whatever. I also try to practice this with chords in the background so I know what 6 sounds like against the chord.

It's all about training your ear in order to play what you hear in your head. I think anyone here will tell you, that's a lifelong persuit....good luck.

3. slapper3

slapper3

Jan 13, 2001
    your pretty cool about answerin stuff, wise or something.......your website is cool too!

4. Pacman

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    thanks for the compliments. That's me - the Yoda of Talkbass :D :D :D

5. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Can't be, you have normal syntax.

6. berserk

berserk

Aug 24, 2000
    Parma, Ohio
    lol methinks jazzbo speaks wise

7. Pacman

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    OK, I could settle on "The Guru of The Groove" yeah, I like the sound of that :cool:

8. slap
    It would be helpful for you to sit at a piano and compose new melodies over existing chord changes,
    or standard blues changes. And you could costruct a solo that you'd like to be able to play. It doesn't matter that you're doing this slowly. What matters is that it's a different instrument, and you'll be able to hear a melody that won't be a knee-jerk reaction to having a bass in your hands. And you can focus on the notes slowly, and really hear how notes fit together, where they come from, etc. Anything to break up the rut you're in.

9. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Another great place to mine for ideas solo-wise is to learn the melodies to jazz standards from the real book and analyze the note choices over the chord progressions...

...'scuse me while I start diggin' around this mess to find my copy.... :D