1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Getting paid for rained out gig

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Humabass, Aug 27, 2007.

1. Humabass

Humabass Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    So i'm curious about other peoples experiences or "policies" regarding rained out gigs. Say you are hired as a sideman to do an outside gig at a private party. You drive 90 minutes to get there and find a totally inadequate "stage" and "tent" large enough to just barely cover the band and it's equipment.
    in case of rain. You start playing and a thunderstorm rolls in complete with torrential rain and close lightning strikes. Question is if the performance is called off do you get paid? the full amount? partial? Does it matter who calls the gig the band or the employer?

2. Stegre

Stegre

Aug 14, 2007
    Conditions of weather and how it relates to your performance should be stated in your performance agreement. Yes, they should pay even if you stop playing (in accordance with your agreement) because of the weather conditions. As a sideman, I would make certain I was covered by the agreement before taking the gig.

Stefan
    coverbandbook.com

3. ryco

ryco

Apr 24, 2005
    Being rained out should be covered in your contract. If you have an outdoor gig, make sure to have provisions for weather related circumstances. Either party can call it. This usually falls uner an "act of God". And you should receive full payment, but make sure all of this is stipulated in your contract before signing.

If you want to go above and beyond for someones "special day", offer to move inside if possible.