getting paid

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by whitester, Jun 13, 2001.

1. Got a question about getting paid.. I'm moving to canada and hopefully restart a new band etc. but was wondering how you guys get paid. I guess canada and the us would be similar, but over here in australia, if your serious you have to apply for this bussiness number and if you don't have one the venue is obliged to take out the tax... at 48% so for each dollar you get paid they take 48 cents, but if you have the number it's cool. so i was just wondering how it was done over there?

2. well.. I first call the girl, and then take her out to a...

oh, you said PAID?! :eek:

sorry, I have no real answer for you...
  3. mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    The rule of thumb is "In God we trust, all others must pay CASH!!!!".

4. DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    Welcome to Canada. Maybe I can help you out.

You didn't say where in Canada you were moving. I'm in Toronto. I would like to think you're moving here inasmuch as the only other worthy city is Vancouver (and it's a distant second to Toronto). Seriously, here is the deal in Toronto.

My band gigs about six nights a month all over the GTA (Greater Toronto Area). We play pretty much the same venues that most regularly gigging bands do. BTW , we are a four piece R&B, Chicago/Texas Blues band.

The clubs range from 40 seats to about 200 with the average being about 80. That has a direct bearing on pay. Our absolute minimum is $300.00 for a small club.There are clubs who try to come in at $200-250 but we won't touch them (and we still get lots of gigs). The upper end is generally $500.00 for a few of the larger clubs. Our average seems to be $375.00.

When I talk to guys in other bands our situation seem consistent with everybody else.
    The size of band has no bearing - 3,4 or 5 piece bands will get exactly the same dollars. Duos do slightly better on a per man basis because there are lots of other small clubs who will hire a duo for $200.00.

Payment is almost always cash at the end of the night. A few owners will ask for a receipt but that's ok. There is no license required and no witholding of any taxes at the source (the club).Of course, being good citizens that Canadian musicians are we declare all this as income at the end of the year for tax purposes. Yeah...right!!!!

Some clubs have terrific stages and house PA's and some have to clear away six tables after dinner to make room for the band.

Hope this helps. If you're coming to Toronto - welcome. Hope to see you in one of the clubs.
  5. DaveB thanks, very informative. It's pretty much the same over here... as in getting cash, cos that way most pepole are gennerally happy. But now clubs/pub are getting tight with the tax. BTW i will be moving to toronto, brampton actually, at x-mas and staying the year and then seewhere i'm at and i'll either stay or go . was there last x-mas and just loved it so i'm coming back. Also i'm a virgin nhl fan on only saw my first ever game watching the leafs at acc. So i'll se you at a pub sometime....whats your band called?:)