1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Getting people to come to your show - frustrating!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by spectorbass83, Nov 29, 2006.

1. We got a battle of the band this Saturday at the Cubby Pickle. Tell me do you have to explain to people that the Cubby Pickle is not a gay club?

2. spectorbass83

spectorbass83

Jun 6, 2005
    canada
    No can't say I ever had anyone confuse the Pickle with a gay club lol.
    You guys are playing the Ill Scarlett show eh? We were gonna do it but schedules did not align...that and Supernova shows are usually ********.

3. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    I have mixed feelings about handing out free stuff. When you give stuff away for free most of it ends up in the trash. But if you charge some trivial amount like $1 for a demo people will actually listen to it.

4. I'm not sure what ******** means but its the only way we can get shows. So I'm pretty happy to do it but I don't trust Supernova at all.

5. spectorbass83

spectorbass83

Jun 6, 2005
    canada
    I think giving away swag is a good idea - like stickers, little flyers etc..

6. BrandonBass

BrandonBass

May 29, 2006
    imo to attract fans(your mum doesnt count), u need to stand out from the other bands.

musically and theatrically, maybe u can do some crazy stage antics like playin naked and stuff if u got the balls. blink 182 and rhcp used to do that before they got famous ya know. if a local band does that ill definitely go see their shows no BS

if not then at least hav a decent image and some interestin antics, and try to play somethin that is different from what the other bands are already playin.

7. lefty007

lefty007

Jan 19, 2004
    Miami, FL
    Exactly! That what I was going to say.

8. Spoiled Grape

Spoiled Grape I <3 Darkstar

May 29, 2003
    Riverside, CA
    Do you really think that is true and applies now though? PE came from a different time period, where they were (more or less) pioneers of sorts.

As it is now, music is so widely available via the internet that it's ridiculous. Bands are being signed left and right to small labels, small labels are selling out to big labels, and everytime a band gets famous for a sound, there are twenty bands immediatly lined up ready to share the stage with them. It can be rather difficult to get noticed as a band when you are playing music people like, are writing excellent lyrics, delivering a great stage show, and are playing with your soul when there are four other bands in the venue next door doing the exact same thing.

Perhaps I'm a bit jaded from living in Southern California, as I have noticed it's a bit easier to get noticed outside of SoCal from touring, but geez, it's tough making something that stands out for more than 15 minutes nowadays.

9. morf

morf Banned

Feb 17, 2006
    If you're good, send out a good vibe and play music people like, then people will come. What was true for PE is still true today IMHO.

10. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Too much hip thrust
    When my band (all original, we played mainly mid sized venues and bars) has a show, we usually go through 400-800 handbills.

Downtown in Albuquerque is a very centralized scene. There are 4-6 venues on a weekend night that have all original rock bands playing. One of the town's main theaters (700 capacity) is also in walking distance. On the right busy nights, we set out with a couple hundred flyers and hit up all the cars of people parked where the live music is, and hand them out personally. The latest we start this type of promoting is 2 weeks before a show. If we have mulitple shows near the same dates, we hand out multiple flyers.

Over time, this has really gotten our name out and our draw has been steadily improving.

It's a lot of work though.

11. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Spoiled Grape nailed it. I'm only going to add to a few things he said.

I know that most people hate these shows but my band looked back at it, and we found that our biggest shows, the shows that got the most people and made us the most money were shows that we sold tickets for at reputable venues. It was weird how simple it was. We played a show at the Viper Room and killed it. We're out of Huntington Beach and LA is not only a drive but a pain in the butt for most people to go to. So we got rented a bus complete with alcohol and made a party out of it. We ended up leaving people in the parking lot who had to follow the bus up there. After covering the bus and alcohol we ended up not only clearing our overhead, but making about 2k (that's huge for us) with t-shirts and whatnot. But it was a lot of work. Now we've vowed only to do shows like that 2 or 3 times a year.

Also if you're playing originals. Really look at your originals. I know most people hate to do this, but really figure out who your originals sound like, and then ask yourself if it's stuff that will get the chicks to shake their...(you know what I mean). Most of our stuff sounds like the covers we play. So when people hear the cover our originals kind of slide into the same vain. But if your originals sound like Metallica, and your playing reggae covers, then perhaps you need to figure out what clubs and bands to market yourself with. Does this make sense? I typed all this when I was hungry... I hope it makes sense. I gotta go eat something. Later.:p