Getting professional sporting event and concert tickets

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by two fingers, Jan 18, 2019.

Tags:
  1. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Inactive

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    So, this is the year we will take the Fingers girls to their first game at Fenway (and possibly also Camden Yards when the Os play the Sox).

Of course, most of the season at Fenway is "sold out". Then again, Stub Hub and other third-party sellers will have tickets.

What third party have you guys used to tickets and lived to tell about it?

I threw concerts in here too because that might appeal more to the masses here at TB.

What say you?

2. two fingers

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Sooooooooooo not exactly sports fan here at TB, are we? :laugh:

3. two fingers

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Anyone?

4. friskinator

friskinator Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2007
    Georgia
    I’ve used StubHub for concert tix a few times, and once for a MLB baseball game in San Francisco. The experience was fine, no problems. I’m not a sports fan (my dad wanted to go to the baseball game), so I don’t know if the prices were decent for the seats we got. We just decided how much we were willing to spend and went from there.

MattZilla and two fingers like this.
  5. Not much of a sports fan here and concerts are just too loud for me. Being on stage is OK but being out in front just doesn't work for me these days. Last time i was at Camden yards , it was epic for me though. My brother is a graphic artist and was being scouted for a job with Home Team Sports several years ago. He was supposed to meet up with them and they sent him some tickets for "The Yards." He sent me a couple of them and said "See you there." What a treat that turned out to be. The tickets were for the Home Team Sports box on the first base line. Fully stocked bar , a huge lunch spread , private bathroom , and Barco loungers on the deck to watch the game from. Must have cost somebody a fortune. Glad it wasn't me.
    Oh yeah , he didn't take the job and the O's lost. Still had a great time.

MattZilla and two fingers like this.
  6. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    StubHub for baseball and football games. But you will be paying through the nose for Fenway. Consider this. The Cape Cod League plays it's All Star game there, and the tickets will be available and reasonably priced.

7. roller

roller Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2014
    You'll always be able to come out okay by walking up and buying tickets from sellers/scalpers right outside the venue... and this method is usually going to be WAY cheaper than StubHub or eBay.

In October, I used this tactic to see Metallica. Found a scalper 20 minutes before showtime who had tickets that were printed at home for a good price. Yes, it looked super-sketchy... but a buddy of mine and I were able to get pit tickets for half of face value.

I know not everyone would be willing to roll the dice and buy tickets from a seller just before the event starts... but dang, you sure can save yourself a bunch of money.

8. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    MLB recommends StubHub if the game is sold out.
    I've used StubHub before with zero issues. Safe and reliable, as well as a great guarantee policy.
    There are so many scammers and shady people out there, so be careful if you don't go with a reputable company or the venue.

-Mike

9. WhtMtnGrv

WhtMtnGrv Supporting Member

Nov 1, 2015
    Crestline, CA
    I’ve used Stubhub a bunch for (Super Bowl Championship winning) Eagles tickets and for some concert tickets. Never had a bad experience except for paying pretty hefty markup.

10. roller

roller Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2014
    The positive to StubHub is any ticket bought on that site is guaranteed.

The negative is that anyone on there can sell a ticket for whatever the heck they want (think electronic scalpers). It's criminal what some of those hoseheads are doing.

GregC and MJ5150 like this.
  11. 2saddleslab

2saddleslab Supporting Member

May 30, 2003
    Kentucky
    Last year my wife scored centerfield Fenway tickets via their website. First time experiencing the Green Monster.
    84FD8600-AE65-4831-8C51-D6ED51F7E487.jpeg 020B6EE1-ECEC-4A06-B2ED-FC99D1E80AD7.jpeg

12. 2saddleslab

2saddleslab Supporting Member

May 30, 2003
    Kentucky
    Just yesterday scored some great Stones tickets for Solider field via the Stones official website, which sent you to Ticketmaster. The difference between Ticketmaster via The Stones vs direct to Ticketmaster was the more detailed info about specific seat locations. No guessing where the seats were located in each row vs gambling on if the seats were closer to the stage or farther away.

13. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2001
    Spencerport, New York
    That's the part that bothers me.

Tickets for most major concerts/sports games are expensive enough without adding another profit skimming layer into the overall cost.

GregC, JDMcDorce and MJ5150 like this.
  14. IPA

IPA Supporting Member

May 5, 2010
    StubHub is the way to go. I sell my concert tickets on there when I realize I'm too old to stay up til 1AM watching the rock music.

MattZilla likes this.
  15. WhtMtnGrv

WhtMtnGrv Supporting Member

Nov 1, 2015
    Crestline, CA
    Yeah I’m with ya. $75 face value becomes $125 or more real quick... and that’s before fees/taxes!

MJ5150 likes this.
  16. buldog5151bass

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    It's all a ways been that way. I remember when I had season's tickets for the Mets in 2000, and they made the World Series.

It can work both ways. Many games are not sold out. Go down to the stadium and buy your tickets a minute after the game starts. Starts researching and see how things fluctuate in your town.

We want the ease of the internet and using your phone, don't be surprised if there is a charge. Stop buying all the seats and prices come down.

17. roller

roller Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2014
    This is a great tactic that I've used as well -- if you can wait until the event starts, you'll get in for next to nuthin'.

two fingers likes this.
  18. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

Even back in the 90s the really "big deal" shows were impossible to get tix for.
    Luckily I had an "in" with a gal-pal who worked at a record store's TicketMaster counter in Orange county.

Scored some primo tix & for almost nothing, back then it was $12 for most admissions.
    I also managed to go to a few premiers of films in Hollywood. Good times!

I suggest you find yourself an "IN".

two fingers likes this.
  19. buldog5151bass

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    The issue is every ticket has a scan code on them, so duplicate and/or counterfeit tickets will not be accepted.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2019
    two fingers likes this.
  20. two fingers

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Of course, if the person with the scam ticket gets there first and gets scanned in, the real tickets won't get accepted.