getting pushed: happy metal rock?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by ryan morris, May 2, 2001.

1. ryan morris

ryan morris Supporting Member

Sep 11, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    ok, i have a friend that playes geetar and we haven't jammed together in some time. last jam session(3weeks ago) was awesome and we stuck to hendrix/doors/jazz type of music. today we started playing and he was on some crazy metal/rock stuff. like alice in chains and metallica and some other stuff. he keeps on learning all of these tabs by himself and expects me to put a bassline to it. i don't even listen to that kind of music. i am a happy guy and usually lay down my own happy lines, but he is now wanting me to learn some of this, what seems like, unhappy music. is there any compromise we can strike? like a happy metal song?
  2. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    the laws of physics say no...happy metal? Good luck.
  3. JWC

JWC Banned

Oct 4, 2000
    Tell him to get you the tabs too.
  4. Lovebown

Jan 6, 2001
    If you can make christian hardcore punk then I suppose you can make happy metal.
    But it doesen't make any sense.

5. I see it now....Happy Metal.......

"This music is strange, it makes me want to go plant a tree, donate money to charity, then go kill someone!"
  6. hahahaa good one man..

i personally like the idea of funk metal to some degree!

7. Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Woodland Hills, CA
    GREAT!!! That's Audio Prozac for ya.

You can be happy no matter whether you are planting a tree or planting your neighbor!!

There was a Cracked issue that said in it's comic strip, "Finish these heavy metal ballad lyrics"

Babe I love you with all my heart....

Your choices: (something like this anyways)

a) We'll be together and never part.
    b) I hope this song makes the charts.
    c) (the correct one) Kill your dog for Satan.

Hmmmm..... :eek:
  8. Christian Hardcore Punk isn't that hard to come up with.

Christian Death Metal. Now THAT'S an interesting idea.:D

Rock on
  9. weezer might be considered happy metal. but the bass isn't very interesting.
  10. ryan morris

Sep 11, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    yeah, i'm thinkin' it might be time to tell him i'm never going to play his panterra songs. even if/when i get mad i see/play my bass and it makes me happy. so, him or his metal will have to fly away.
  11. there is Christian Rap metal. I think thats interesting enough :)
  12. Emerald_gasH

Sep 17, 2000
    You know, it might not be such a bad idea to try playing metal songs...even though they may be dreary, it's a different experience. And not all songs are in the angry state of mind...
  13. ryan morris

Sep 11, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    gash, what you say is true. but.. i have tried and it just isn't my thing. i can't groove to it. later