1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Getting reacquainted with a new old friend.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bassist Jay, Dec 31, 2017.

1. Bassist Jay

Bassist Jay

Dec 28, 2009
    Sterling, CO.
    Endorsed by K.B. Guitars, Nordstrand Audio Pickups, Von York Strings and Gallien-Krueger Amps.
    So as some of you know from a previous post, the second bass that I ever owned and the very first one that I ever bought brand new was in either 1989 or 1990, when I was still in high school. The bass was an Epiphone by Gibson Accu bass. It sold brand new for only $199.99. The bass I had was a fantastic bass and played like a much more expensive bass. Knowing what I know now but didn’t know then, this bass had really good fret work done. It was super smooth, had a matching headstock and a string through body.

It’s funny because I hated Fender Precision basses at that time but this bass was Epiphone’s version of a P bass.

Soon after buying this bass, I would trade in my Cort X bass, the very first bass that I ever owned, but was a huge piece of crap (even according to Billy Sheehan but that’s another story.) for a Charvel 2B. At a bass clinic that I attended that Billy Sheehan did, one of the things he said to me was always have at least 2 basses. That way you have a backup if 1 breaks. So with those words I had my Epiphone and my Charvel throughout high school and with those 2 basses, I really started improving as a player. Both basses were very reliable and never had a single issue.

Then in 1993, I got G.A.S.. On a random visit to Guitar Center, I discovered Soundgear basses from Ibanez. Prior to that I was always a huge Ibanez fan because of Steve Vai and Joseph Satriani. At that time in my life, one of my dreams was to become an endorsed artist by Ibanez so when I saw this Ibanez SR 400 Soundgear bass in candy apple red, I was in love. Problem was I was 19 years old and had to support myself in regards to my dreams to be a musician. My family all opposed what I was doing and anything that I wanted to do or gear that I wanted to buy, I had to do myself. The only way to get that bass required me trading in both of my basses to get it. I loved both by Epiphone and Charvel but wanted that Ibanez really bad so I traded both away. It would then be another 2 years before I would have 2 basses at the same time again but since then, I have never had less than 2 and vowed never to break that rule again.

As time went on, I would get more gear and better gear but always regretted not still having my Epiphone and Charvel. Then on a whim I started looking for them again recently. A few weeks ago I found another Epiphone Accu bass at the Music Go Round in Ann Arbor, MI. for only $99.99. It was my exact bass down to the same color, black. My wife got paid and as a Christmas gift bought me the bass. It got here Friday night and this weekend I have had a blast getting reacquainted with a new old friend. This bass was made in June of 1992 but is in fantastic shape for its age. There is 1 small ding on the lower horn and 1 scratch on the pick guard. Even the back shows no scratches. The frets are hardly worn and has very little playing time on it. The bass appears to have been bought by someone, played very little and then put in storage for who knows how long? They then probably found it and figured they didn’t want it so they sold it to Music Go Round for some quick cash. The gold pieces on the bridge show slight oxidation and the tone knob was not working when I started going through it but that is a very cheap fix. The neck was straight, the intonation was almost spot on, on every string and I am ecstatic to have found my exact bass in such great shape. The bass may not be worth much but I will never get rid of this 1 either. Now the goal will be to find another Charvel 2B in the metallic blue like my old bass was.

Here are the pics of the new bass.
    EEB7D424-63A1-45D1-8004-4BFE1C56A07D. AD450618-E96E-4412-AF49-8CC62D64F466. 5B7E3B07-6698-4B13-BFBE-862EED746535. 62B0E9A0-FAAD-4046-9CCF-411B3BBCA6FF. C7428A75-5A19-4966-980C-98A3E988A34C. F743C473-759B-4781-9BB8-7C52C7F79E62. 6166ADCC-EC52-42E3-B46E-2602728B8BC8. 3227C025-38AA-4F37-B749-AE403CB3A759. E92F13C1-43B1-4F7E-976B-431CE12760B6. 08C1AFD1-E8FD-4F48-AAC6-79B5EC52CEB7. 191E828B-71C4-4079-8FE6-7A401C560D14.

bdgotoh and Stumbo like this.
  2. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    Good story. I played a '63 Hofner back in the day and hope to own one someday. Soon.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2018
    Bassist Jay likes this.