Getting ready to go broke! (Help me pick new cabs)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Nick man, Nov 23, 2003.

1. Eden 210XST / 410XLT combo

18 vote(s)
  2. Ampeg SVT410HE / SVT410HLF

3 vote(s)
  3. Ampeg SVT810E

5 vote(s)
  1. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Ive decided that my 210XST just isnt enough for loud rock bands where I have to go up agianst heavy hitting drummers and two guitarist pushing 100 tube watts....big suprise eh? ;)

Well here's the deal, Im upgrading my rig big time. I have an Eden WP-100 preamp, and a QSC USA-850(?). Im either gonna get 2 SANSAMP RBIs to toggle between for different tones with an upgrade on the power amp to a PLX 2402 or Stewart 2.1, or Ill get the Mesa Boogie 400+ and get a good power conditioner. But the cabs.....

Option #1, replace the damaged driver in 210XST (I was running a clipping 900 Watt RMS power amp into it) and add a 410XLT to the rig. This should be a great setup because of the low B string handling and it will probably be the most portable. Biggest drawback, I dont have a chance to try one out anytime soon. I like the Eden cabs a lot but the heads are too clean. How will this sound with the SANSAMP/Mesa?

Option #2, Get a SVT410HE and SVT410HLF combo. Ive tried this combination out and I like it a lot. Im not sure if I can get them in the same impedance, but Ill be running a stereo power amp so Ill be ok either way. Not too hard to move around, but its a lot of sound with fairly good low B handling. I also know it will sound great with the SANSAMP/Mesa.

Option #3, Get the SVT810E. I like the cab for most things but not with my 5 string bass. It will be the least expensive and simplest to work with. I know it will sound good with the SANSAMP/Mesa. All in all, this is probably my least favorite option.

I have around $2000 to spend but would like to spend as little as possible for the cabs since I still need to upgrade the rest of the rig. Keep in mind that I work at Guitar Center so there will be the employee discount in effect on everything except the Eden (unless I can manage to contact them directly.). Im also moving into a dorm in January and though I can store the gear at a friends house (I have friends and "family" with houses and apts where Im going) Id rather keep it in my room.

I play anything from classic rock (Zeppelin), through grunge(Nirvana/Soundgarden/AIC), to heavy modern rock (Glassjaw/Queens of the Stone Age) and my favorite bassist are Robert DeLeo (STP) and John Paul Jones (Zeppelin). Mostly fingerstyle with some pick and a little slap.

If there is anything I forgot let me know.

PS: Im only making a poll for 3 choices, if you have another suggestion, post it, but please pick the option you would like most of the 3 posted.... a lesser or three evils if thats the way you'd like to look at it.
  2. jawzzz

May 23, 2003
    Denver Colorado
    Even though I love Ampeg, I voted for Eden because of the low "B".The 410 HLF is good, but the XST specs are even better.Eden is more efficient,lighter, and will handle low notes better.The 810 would not be good for a five string at all so stay away from it.:bassist:
  3. $2000?

-Buy a QSC plx 3002 or 3402
    -Buy two SWR Goliath 410's, or two Eden 410 XLT's.

If that doesn't do the trick, have your ears examined.
  4. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    You might want to consider a Bergantino NV-610 (or an HT-322).

Don't let the spec's fool you, the NV-610's handle low B just fine.

If you could find a used pair of EA CxL-112's those would kill as well.

You might also consider an Ampeg SVP-Pro preamp instead of the RBI's or a BBE BMax + an EBS MultiDrive.
  5. Arthur Poon

Arthur Poon

Jul 13, 2003
    I'd go with the Eden cab. I really like some of Ampeg's gear, but I kind of regret letting my D410XLT cab go. I opted at that time for SWR's Goliath cabs, which I used for many years-IMO they did a great job. I recently changed my setup for a bit warmer and deeper tone. My old Eden cab would've done the job very nicely, but you live and learn$$. I now own 2 Ampeg BXT410HL's-they sound great but buy a hand truck!:eek: As far as power goes, if you prefer a cleaner tone, I recommend the QSC PLX2402 or the Stewart 2.1, and buy a good tube preamp. The posts about the new Read Custom Purity preamp may be of interest to you. If you prefer the all-tube tone, I don't know about either the Ampeg SVT-CL or the Mesa 400+. I've owned the CL and 2-Pro and I was disappointed with their sound at high volumes-but that's just me. I've tried the 400+ at my local G.C., and I was impressed, but not nearly as impressed as I was with an early 70's SVT head. When I can afford it, I'll be watching Ebay for my SVT "soul-mate". ;) Since you're moving to a smaller living space, I'd personally steer clear of the Ampeg 810E cab.

Just my 2 cents, A.P.
  6. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Option one, of course. I use a D-210XLT on top of a D-410XLT with a WT-800 for bigger venues and outdoors. Works good. Plenty loud.
  7. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    I use 2 - D410xlt's with a WT800 and my low b is tight as hell and I have plenty of room to move with frequency. The ampeg doesn't have the low frequency the Eden does. The 810 is the worst, not to mention you need a buddy to help you lug it around.

8. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Eh, I cant stand the sound of the SWR gear Ive tried. And two 410 XLTs is more than I was planning to move around. Especially since I already have the 210XST.

I actually considered the NV-610 extensively but having never tried the cab and being so far from one, its hard to say Im ready to shell out the dough for one.

2-12" just isnt gonna cover my needs. Im also not gonna be able to try one of those.

Ive heard to many reviews stating that the SVP is noisy, and I like the tone of the SANSAMP. Besides, you can link two together and togle between them with a footswitch which is the kind of thing Ive been looking for. As far as the other stuff, I havent had a chance to try them out.

Thanks for all the replies, and keep them comming.

9. To each his own... I've been nothing but thrilled of how consistently nice my GIII (dark grille model) sounds from one stage to the next.

I'm a bit confused, you say the two SWR or Eden 410's are too much to move around.

Yet, you're considering two Ampeg 410's, or the Berg NV610, or the SVT810? How are they so much easier to move around?

10. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Because of the top and bottom ports, the Edens apear to be alarger than any of the 4-10's I mentioned. The 6-10 is one single unit, and the 8-10 is smaller than the combination of any of the two 4-10 cabs stacked. Besides, its the size of the 6-10, and 8-10 that make them last on my list.

11. How are ya nick. Mate, I use an EDEN 8+10 box. You will be far from dissapointed if you had that joey in your stable. They weigh a bit (110kg) but the extra lugging is worth it when you plug that baby in. More than enough power to combat the volume problems of onstage. What I am immpressed about it most is that it handles anything you can throw into it. I have a mobass head running through it(900wt) and i have had 1600wt heads through it before and the speakers dont even move, which says to me that it is a very solid unit. I use it 6 nights a week and that is my advice. EDEN. see ya, good luck mate.
  12. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I actually checked out the specs to see if my own post made any sense and it turns out that the Ampeg SVT410HLF is bigger than the Eden 410XLT. Maybe I will consider the 2 Eden 410 setup.

13. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    THe D410xlt's are smaller than they appear. AND THEY ROCK!
  14. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    I was shocked when you said that they looked large... they are real small for a 4x10. sound great, too. I'd say go the 2-4x10XLT Route.
  15. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    The CxL-112's are a lot louder than you could guess and as I said two would kill.

Most EA dealers will sell them on a trial basis.

[I don't have a vested interest in you buying some particular brand, so I not trying to be pushy, just trying to provide different things to think about.]

One other option would be an Epifany T-410UL at 71 lbs would be an easy load. Run it with your existing D-210SXT.
  16. marklinca

Nov 11, 2003
    So Cal
    Have you ruled out the 410XST (as opposed to the XLT)? The cab is a little smaller and lighter.
  17. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Actually I havent ruled it out.

There's a better chance that Ill get one 410XLT, and one 410XST than two 410XLTs. I just wish I was able to try out a rig like this.

Chances are though that Id probably just get a second 210XST and one 410XLT sicne I already have one 210XST allready.

18. tim99

tim99 Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2003
    Nick, I am just North of Orlando, and Bass Central is just down the two hours from Gainesville. They have lots of Eden stuff. Gard, who works there and sold me my two 210XSTs bought some Eden stuff for his personal rig, and he is a great source of info. Call him and see what you can try...

Their stuff:

My stuff, but I am not playing as loud as you:
  19. If you're still tossing the idea around of the 400+, I've got one for sale, check the signature. Send me an email if you're at all interested, and there may even be a special Talk Bass discount. :ninja: