Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

getting real bored.

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by WillySanchez, Jan 2, 2003.

1. lately ive been getting bored with playig bass..i live for playing bass..but i get my bass and play..and everything sounds similar...sub-consciously its all the same thing. what can i do to get things more interesting? i dont know theory..and dont understand scales and modes all that well either....some one help!!!

3. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification

4. Buy some bass videos (Beaver felton SUPERCHOPS, Stu Hamm DEEPER INSIDE THE BASS, etc...).

Read Bass Player magazine (if you don't already)...Check out some live bands, talk to other bassists and musicians, etc.

Good luck!

5. i would love to get a teacher, but i cant afford it, nor do i have time

6. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    Yeah, you can always make time. Lessons are usually only a half hour per week. The time you now spend doing the same boring stuff you are doing now can be spent learning your new lessons. It's all about really wanting to.

7. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    Challenge yourself. Transcribe and learn a tune in a style you wouldn't ordinarily do, learn a new technique, write some solo stuff... there are endless possibilities.

One thing is for certain though - if you don't continue to challenge yourself and set new goals, of course you're gonna get bored. This is why getting a teacher will help with this - you are constantly being given new challenges.

Another thing I can tell you from personal experience is that with a decent knowledge of theory and how to use it, you'll never, ever be bored with bass again.

If you don't want to put in the time necessary to tackle new challenges, hate to say it, but perhaps you are losing interest in the instrument itself.

8. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

Sometimes this is harder than you guys think. I don't have any BASS teachers nearby really and I also don't have any money.

My advice, this is kinda opposite everyone elses. Take a break. Whenever I am pryed away from my bass for a couple days I go nuts, a week, forget it I'm goin' nuts. Maybe that means I'm crazy, I dunno. But absence makes the heart grow fonder. Or maybe you'll find something better to do with your life like basket-weaving or weasle-shaving. I dunno.

9. fclefgeoff

fclefgeoff Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2002
    Illinoize
    I always thought it was ABSTINENCE that made the heart grow fonder. Hmmmm.

10. lermgalieu

lermgalieu Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    I had a lesson yesterday and we didn't really play much bass at all, more of it was talking through theory with a piano (lots of me going "well it sounds cool, but why?"). If you wanna learn about theory and such, I could imagine taking lessons with many types of people, not just bassists.