1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Getting real Fendery with my Turser

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lostrings, Jul 10, 2008.

1. Awhile back I purchased a Jay Turser 54' Precision bass. Here's a thread I started about the bass...http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=367242&highlight=jay+turser. Anyway, I purchased the bass with the intension of doing some modifications. I wanted to do the body in a Surf Green or Shell Pink Nitro and do a complete neck redo. As it turned out I decided to leave the Sunburst finish ( I really love the Sunburst), But I did a complete neck redo. First I shaped the headstock, Then I shot the neck in Satin Clear Nitro, next I tinted the neck in ReRanch Fender Neck Amber, Then I shot some more Satin Clear Nitro. After that set up I put on the waterslide and then put the final coats of Satin Clear Nitro burying the waterslide and then wet sanding and polishing. One last thing I did was put Wilkinsen long stem vintage tuners to finish the look. It took some time to do the neck but I am very happy with the outcome. Who knows maybe I'll change my mind and still do the Surf Green or Shell Pink...Stay Tuned.
    54FenderPrecision006.jpg
    54FenderPrecision018.jpg
    54FenderPrecision017.jpg
    54FenderPrecision015.jpg
    54FenderPrecision002.jpg

2. Steveaux

Steveaux Safe-Guardian of the Stoopid Supporting Member

Jul 1, 2008
    The Wilds of NW Pa.
    OMG .... NOOOOO !!!!!

Delete this post ASAP !!!!

They will be coming for you, too !!!!!

3. Is there a reason you want people to believe you're playing a real Fender?

4. DeanT

DeanT Send lawyers, guns and money...

Duck.gif

5. RS

RS

Aug 27, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    Only took 16 minutes for the sticker police to come get you!

6. Steveaux

Steveaux Safe-Guardian of the Stoopid Supporting Member

Jul 1, 2008
    The Wilds of NW Pa.
    Next thing you know ... we'll have to apply DiMarzio bumper-stickers to our basses if we change the pickups !! :bag:

7. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    [​IMG]

8. I love it. The sunburst does look quite striking. Maybe I'll have to pick me up one of these Tursers.

Oh and I might as well pitch in my support and say that I see nothing wrong with putting a fender decal on it. I personally think that the fender decal completes a bass in a way. Nothing to do with a sense of inferiority (i don't even own a fender). I just like the look.

9. kevinmoore73

kevinmoore73 Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    Broccoli

10. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    Asparagus

11. brussel sprouts

12. I'd definitely have put the sticker on the bass, but would have otherwise denoted that it was a replica and put something specifying it as a turser elsewhere (perhaps the back of the headstock).

13. Muddslide

Muddslide

Feb 23, 2007
    Mobile, Alabama
    I have one of these, in natural. I really dig this bass. The neck is like it was custom-made for me. Nice 'n' chunky.

Every place seems out of stock of them at the moment, but I called the Turser company and they expect this model back later this month or early next.

I hope so because I am honestly thinking about getting one in every available color. The SB is gorgeous.

You did a great job on that neck! I'd like to shape my headstock the same way but leave it blank or have a custom non-Fender decal made for it. I'm not knocking your decal either.

I have the means to do it and I've done that kind of work before (decals aside) but in the end I doubt I'll ever get around to it. I might buff off the Turser decal and leave the headstock blank though.

What do you think of the way it plays and the sound of it? I love that ugly little SC pup.

14. steveinohio

steveinohio

May 27, 2007
    That looks awesome!

15. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    That sure looks Fendery...

16. When I purchased the bass I wasn't expecting much concidering the price tag but I was very surprised how nice the bass was. I was able to lay the action very low so it plays great. There were no high frets or sharp edges. As far as the tone of the bass...I like it. It has a very strong pickup output which I like. The tone is very rich and full with brightness that I like. Overall its a fun bass...

17. What if everyone starts doing this to their Tursers?? It will cause a rift to open in the time/bass continuum!!! :eek: OHHHHHH the Humanity!!! :eek:

18. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 17, 2021