Getting really annoyed with people who throw bags of dog droppings in my trash can!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Tony In Philly, Oct 9, 2017.

1. Tony In Philly

Tony In Philly Supporting Member

Oct 25, 2007
    Filthydelphia, USA
    Recently, I was even confronted with an open bag of extremely muddy and leaking dog excrement in my unlined trash can. The trash men had recently emptied it and it was sitting there by the street, opened and still unlined. Needless to say I had to hose the can out, otherwise it would have stunk up my garage. Now that was an extremely inconsiderate thing to do on many levels. It still astounds me the amount of gall this dog owner displayed. I have walked dogs many times in my neighborhood and I would never have done something like that.

What do you TB dog owners do about this - do you look for less obnoxious places to dispose of this vile stuff (no offense, doggies)? Also are any of you other TB'ers subjected to this kind of behavior as well?

2. Is your avatar name on your trash can?

kobass, btmpancake, klejst and 6 others like this.
  3. When walking my dog, I always bag my dog's poop and then tie the top off so that it is sealed. Most of the time I drop it in my own trash. But there have been times when I drop it in a public trash can when not near my home. Better than leaving the poop on someones lawn. Just sayin.

4. Has this happened more than once?

5. Tony In Philly

Oct 25, 2007
    Filthydelphia, USA
    That's a tribute to my home town's nickname.

6. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Take a day off work. Watch the garbage. Spot the pooper. Collect the poop. Follow the pooper. Ascertain his address. Return said poop.

7. Tony In Philly

Oct 25, 2007
    Filthydelphia, USA
    In varying levels of egregiousness - yes. I don't think it's personal though. Other neighbors have also mentioned similar stuff. I just think it's laziness and careless disrespect on the part of some. This town has a bit of a littering problem too.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2017
  8. Tony In Philly

Oct 25, 2007
    Filthydelphia, USA
    Not a bad idea. I have a home office and my window overlooks the area where the perps do their deed, but it always happens when I'm deep in my work.

9. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Proper revenge will take some dedication.

10. Put a jingle bell on thrash can lids so you can hear it when deep at work.

11. BadJazz

BadJazz Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2007
    Eugene, Oregon
    What they are doing is illegal (theft of services).

Try this: get a friend to look a bit shabby and take a security cam quality picture of them putting something in the trash can at the location where the garbage men empty it. Print the photo and tape it fastidiously with clear tape to the lid. Under the photo mention whatever local theft of services statutes are relevant and put a firm but even handed request to not illegally dispose of any materials in the can. People tend to walk straight ahead and do the least amount to draw attention when they think they are being watched.

12. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Great idea.

13. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    I've done this, but only when the trash can was out for pickup that morning. Not particularly nice, but carrying around a big bag of Great Dane poop isn't fun either.

14. blastoff99

blastoff99 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2011
    SW WA, USA
    I always pick up poop and tie a knot in the top of the bag. My town has shared trash, so it doesn't matter whose I dump it in. That said, if the can is empty, I'll find a muni or other can to put it in, or take it home. If the can is fairly full, I figure that's decent protection against bag breakage from heavy object being dropped some distance on top of it. In it goes.

15. slobake

slobake resident ... something Supporting Member

I have the same problem with dog poop in my garbage can. I keep the cans in my garage and it stinks up the whole garage. Luckily the trash collectors come pretty early so I pull my cans in before I go to work.

16. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    I'm lucky - when I walk my dogs, they go by the edge of the woods. I get a stick, and flip it into the woods. In the dog park, there are bags, and a dedicated trash can.

17. slobake

slobake resident ... something Supporting Member

Mount a little video somewhere safe overlooking your garbage can and maybe you will recognize the culprits. Some of these cameras are not too expensive.
    Or you could get fake cameras for ten bucks, but I doubt that what stop the poop depositors.

Oddly and Tony B. Filthy like this.
  18. bolophonic

bolophonic

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    This HAS to win some sort of prize for misjudging the seriousness of the situation. Perhaps the OP should also hire an attorney to sue the offender as well?

petrus61, PillO and shadowtippy like this.
  19. This has to stop. Having someone deposit dog poop in your trash can is a serious matter. It could escalate to poop being left on the lawn. "GET OFF MY POOPY LAWN" doesn't have the right ring to it.

PillO likes this.
  20. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    At least people are picking up after their dogs, even if they are being thoughtless clowns.

It's not a problem out here in the sticks, but people I know who live in town are constantly talking about stepping in fresh dog poop when they go out to their cars in the morning.

As for what to do? Short of making a big deal out of it, you only option appears to be occasionally hosing out your ash cans.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 19, 2021