Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Getting really cheap flights?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Bigfeet, Oct 26, 2002.

1. OK, as most of you know I'm trying to see someone in London, UK, but I don't exactly have that much to spend on a plane ticket and still afford to take this person to places and a passport. So other than the idea of shipping myself to her frontdoor in a large cardboard box, how can I get there the cheapest? Inconvienence is not an issue, I'll hopscotch to get there if I have to.

Thank you very much.

2. please answer this, I mself am off to the UK next summer (I am selling a bass to go!) and I need to get there cheap... backpacking it up.

3. Gulice

Gulice

Sep 13, 2002
    ok heres what u do.... slap urself in a big bass case witha lock and lined with lead... have a friend ship u overnight to london.. bring thermal pads and a bannana

4. serious question... is this legal? Because I will do it if it is.

But Ill use a BIG box so I can bring my bass. Its gonna get ruined but I cant go without bass for a day, let alone the 2 months I plan on being there

5. Gulice

Gulice

Sep 13, 2002
    i doubt its legal.... and i dunno if ud survive you would need some way of getting air

6. Ill find a way, maybe an oxygen tank or holes. GOTJ style. I wanna know if its legal

7. Gulice

Gulice

Sep 13, 2002
    hey if it works tell me... i need to get to ny

8. It's not legal, I've checked. :rolleyes:

(Seriously) not unless you're somebody's pet and you've had all your shots.

9. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    I'm curious about this too, I'll be off to London in a coupla months...

10. oddentity

oddentity

Nov 20, 2000
    Philly
    I am signed up for "E-fares" or "E-Savers" on several airlines. I recently got one from United that advertised a $129 RT fare from NY to London. (But you had to buy your ticket by 10/25 and travel before 11/7.)

The drawback to these fares is that they are last-minute, and you often have to travel the week you buy the ticket.

If you can go on the spur of the moment, they are a tremendous savings.

11. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

How about going via Pakistan Airlines and taking a "stop-over" in Afghanistan ? I bet they're having difficulty sellling those tickets. ;)

Seriously though - if you're short of money, it's going to be hard, as everything in the UK is twice the price of the US. My sister usually flies over to New York about this time and buys all her Christmas presents - the money she saves, pays for the flight!!

12. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    Man, I would have liked to hear THAT phone call!

A friend of mine once crank-called UPS and asked them a similar question, with humorous results.