1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Getting Relief On A '64 Kent

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Oren Hudson, Mar 14, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Oren Hudson

Oren Hudson

Dec 25, 2007
    Gastonia, NC
    :help: I have this '64 Kent that's identical to my first bass. Sounds great. The problem is that these basses did not have a truss rod. I've tried shims here and shims there and everywhere, but I have been unsuccessful in getting any relief. With no relief, of course, to get the lower half of the neck to not fret out, the action on the upper half of the neck is really high. I don't want to give up, but after 10 or so attempts of shims at different places and different thicknesses, it's getting frustrating. Any ideas or tips?

2. LowNloud1

LowNloud1 Commercial User

Jun 11, 2012
    Wilmington NC
    I am a hobbyist making stone picks that I occasionally sell but mostly give away. They made me do this anyways.
    Get a work mate bench by Black and Decker. Wait until the temps hit into the 90's. Take the neck alone (I did remove the nut) and place one side against the vise plate then crank in the other side placing shims where you want to straighten the upper part of the neck. tighten it down and place the WorkMate in ht esun so that the back of the neck is facing south and exposed to the sun. Leave it all day for 2 - 3 days. Don't let it get wet, Don't release it to check during the day but you can check it during the cooler evening hours. The heat and pressure should significantly reduced the bow. I used this method on a badly bowed, trussless neck and had good results. Did not completely eliminate but significantly improved. Nothing came loose and it hasn't returned to its former condition.

Other option is to send it to Texas to the neck straightener for $75+.

IMG_20140110_150904_zpsrgwt6wti.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2016
    Gilmourisgod and Oren Hudson like this.
  3. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

Shims CAN NOT add relief. Relief is neck curvature. Shims change neck angle in relation to body only.

You need to do as stated above.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2016
    lz4005 and Oren Hudson like this.
  4. Oren Hudson

Oren Hudson

Dec 25, 2007
    Gastonia, NC
    Thanks guys. I'll give it a shot. I learn something new everyday.

5. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    The glass of wine was clearly an essential ingredient in the process. I approve.

LowNloud1 and Spectrum like this.
  6. Oren Hudson

Oren Hudson

Dec 25, 2007
    Gastonia, NC
    I noticed that. Years ago, a 6-pack would have been the requirement. However, after many many years of indulging, I laid alcohol to rest a number of years back. Maybe a caffeine free Pepsi? After all, Pepsi was born in the Carolinas. :D

Gilmourisgod likes this.
  7. Oren Hudson

Oren Hudson

Dec 25, 2007
    Gastonia, NC
    Thanks for being so helpful. But after re-reading the instructions, I actually have the opposite problem to correct. The neck is too straight. Any ideas on creating an upward bow? Thanks.

8. Oren Hudson

Oren Hudson

Dec 25, 2007
    Gastonia, NC
    Thanks for the help. I'll dump the shims for now. However, see my reply to LowNloud1. Any tips appreciated.

9. "Texas Neck Straightener", now that sounds like something you don't want to meet in a dark alley...

Oren Hudson and LowNloud1 like this.
  10. LowNloud1

Jun 11, 2012
    Wilmington NC
    I am a hobbyist making stone picks that I occasionally sell but mostly give away. They made me do this anyways.
    A little southern Muscadine from Duplin Vineyards in Rose Hill NC makes many kinds of adjustments easier.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2016
    Oren Hudson likes this.
  11. LowNloud1

Jun 11, 2012
    Wilmington NC
    I have not the experience with putting bow in so I can't offer anything from experience. Thoughts I have are about the top nut but not sure this helps at all. Time for a glass of wine to ponder this!

Oren Hudson likes this.
  12. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    . I would assume the same thing, but use blocks of wood to push it how you want.

Oren Hudson likes this.
  13. Oren Hudson

Oren Hudson

Dec 25, 2007
    Gastonia, NC
    When I used to be a wino, one of my favorites! :cool:

LowNloud1 likes this.