1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Getting rid of a "paint job" on Boss CE-2

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by JTreehorn, Apr 13, 2010.

1. JTreehorn

JTreehorn

Jun 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    I just picked up a vintage Boss CE-2 (MIJ) on craiglist for literally nothing...it sounds pretty cool, however I've never used chorus on bass, so I don't have much of a frame of reference! Here's my question: When I saw the pic that the seller posted, it was a top view and it looked normal. I go to pick it up, and the sides are painted orange. I can see the baby blue underneath. This might sounds silly, but is there anything I could use to remove the orange, and leave the original paint?

Side note - any opinions on this pedal?

Thanks!

2. andvari7

andvari7

Aug 28, 2004
    Ennui
    Are you able to scrape it off with a butter knife or your fingernail? Hopefully, the paint-on-paint scenario will lend itself to clean removal. This, of course, depends on what type of orange paint is used.

3. lacquer thinner or acetone,if it's non-catalized(spray can usually is what most folks use),it should loosen,either curl/shrivel(enamel) or melt(lacquer),

it's a going to be messy either way so have plenty of rags handy and open windows,of course NOT stripping the orig finish underneath i can't say,if it's baked on or has a catalist in it it SHOULD hold up (sigh) try a corner first and see what happening

if it all blows up down to metal PM me i'll drone on with various options(autobody guy for 30 years,been spraying paint all my life on model cars slot cars go-carts mini-bikes you name it,,did some stripping today on a `67 Cougar in fact,and man! the old girl is HOT stripped down!:eek:,get it? cougar,stripped down?:D

4. JTreehorn

JTreehorn

Jun 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nope - this paint is pretty tough. I haven't tried a sharp knife yet....this isn't a deal breaker for me if I decide to keep it

5. FWIW I used to have a CE-2 for my guitar. It's the only chorus pedal I've ever liked. I picked it up for $20 used from a store, in 'passable' condition. Loose knobs, chipped paint, spring not so great. When I needed to pay bills, I regrettably sold it to guitar center for $40. They sold it for $80.

Good condition CE-2's go for way more then that on ebay.

6. JTreehorn

JTreehorn

Jun 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Steelhead2 - Thanks for the tips on cougar stripping!!!:D...I'll give the other stuff you were talking about a shot too.

Walker - Go Rochester! Like I said, so far I'm digging the CE-2. Ironically.....I just traded a pedal for an EBS Unichorus that should be arriving sometime soon! I guess I'll have something to compare it to.