Getting rid of an extra output jack

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by appler, Nov 28, 2004.

1. appler

appler Guest

I bought a used jazz bass and the previous owner had another output jack installed in the side of the body in order to accomodate for an active preamp which he later removed. I want to keep the bass passive with the regular old volume, volume, tone, jack setup on the top of the bass in the control cavity. Is there a way to fill in the space on the side of the body where the jack is/was? I don't have any pictures of the bass unfortunately, but the attached picture shows what the jack looks like, so there are four screw holes and one 1/4" hole for the instrument cable in the body.
    Thanks so much for your time!
  2. andvari7

Aug 28, 2004
    There is a way, and it's not too difficult. You'll need a wooden dowel that is the same size as the hole (factoring in glue and the finish). Cut it to length, glue, let set for a week (as a safety measure) and finish.

Wait, there's still the matter of the the rout leading to the jack. In that case, find a block of wood that will fit between the dowel and the regular cavity (just cut it until it looks right). Sand, glue and finish (if necessary).
  3. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    You might want to consider adding a switch for serries/parallel wiring options in the 4th hole on the control plate and keeping the jack on the side.
  4. appler

appler Guest

Thanks a lot, guys! I was actually considering the series/parallel option, Nick; it sounds pretty cool.
    Edit: Any certain type of switch I should look for? I can't seem to find a two-way switch; they mostly come in three-way pickup selector styles.
    Edit again: Never mind. Found it :rolleyes:
  5. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Im going to wire it in before or after practice tomorrow.
  6. appler

appler Guest

Any chance of a sound clip? :D
  7. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Doubtful, I dont really have much of a setup. Ill see what I can do.

If you check in the pickups forum you'll probably find some good samples though.
  8. Josh Curry

Josh Curry

May 29, 2003
    Frisco, TX
    look on