1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Getting rid of basses altogether?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by madbassplaya, Oct 28, 2013.

1. madbassplaya

madbassplaya

Dec 28, 2007
    I couldn't edit my old thread but this is kind of a continuation:

With that being said, I have been married a couple of months now. Been asked to play at the church we've settled on and I have simplified my gear drastically. Here's the deal though:

I love the church we're at but I don't think I would like to play there. Won't go into the details but it is not what I'm looking for. I however do love everything else about the church and my family is happy there.

Still not gigging and don't want to. Bars/gigs are of no appeal to me anymore.

I definately have no need for expensive gear anymore but I think I may not have a need for gear at all. Not sure if I should sell everything or not. The enjoyment that I found in the bass was the supportive role in a band playing live music. Now that that is gone, I have no drive/desire to play/practice other than noodling 10-15 minutes a day.

I hate unused gear sitting there taking up space when it could be sold and used for other things we need/want.

2. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Follow your own path.

If it were me in the exact same situation as you, I would sell down a lot. I would keep two basses and one small rig. That way, if you change your mind one day you don't have to start all over.

But seriously, if you are just "over it", sell it all and move on to something else.

3. Lobomov

Lobomov

Aug 2, 2013
    No big deal ... Tho as long as you do noddle, I'd say keep one bass and perhaps a small amp and sell everything else.

4. kreider204

kreider204

Nov 29, 2008
    +1, especially if you don't need the money from selling, and it's not taking up too much space. You never know when the mood will strike you, and it's always better to have something on hand.

5. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

You're going through a lot of changes now, and things are going to be different. Don't make any permanent decisions you don't have to until you've had a couple of years to settle into your new life. If you don't want to gig, don't gig. But if you sell all your gear now, there's pretty good odds that you'll do so for half what you spent on it. Then five years from now you'll find yourself getting the itch to gig again and have to spend all that money over again to buy new gear (and deal with your wife wondering why you're wanting to spend money on yourself when there's a baby on the way etc. etc...).

My advice is that if you want to trim down to one good bass and one good amp, go for it, but hold on to those and let yourself noodle for those fifteen minutes a day. Five years from now you'll thank me.

My wife took classical guitar as a kid, and kept the instrument she had as a teenager. Years went by - years and years and years - and she never touched it. Then about a year ago she picked it up again, took some lessons to freshen up, and it became a real outlet for her.

6. madbassplaya

madbassplaya

Dec 28, 2007
    Fast responses! :)

I added a line to the OP:

I hate unused gear sitting there taking up space when it could be sold and used for other things we need/want.

7. AdamR

AdamR

Sep 24, 2007
    Bethel CT
    I would keep 1 nice bass and a good combo amp to noodle.

8. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    That's a toughie, man!

But if I wasn't currently in an active band, I could see whittling down to a 4 string, a 5 string, and a combo amp. I sold everything when I got married, then eventually built back up. There's not a single bass I had then that I would want back now.

9. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    I'm having a hard time trying to read between the lines on this one. Surely there are other places to gig besides bars; coffee houses, county fairs. Or is any gigging just out entirely?

For me, I've been playing out since 15...so the day I decide to stop altogether, is the day I'll sell off everything, because I get no joy playing at home alone.

There again, nothing wrong with buying replacemnt gear down the road if you change your mind. The classifieds sections will always be out there.

10. I've been in your shoes more than once. heck, I'm in them right now, 'cept I want to play. But finishing my BA, moving on to a Masters takes priority. Personally, I'm holding on to my gear because at some point, I'm going to want it.

Best of luck, brudda!

11. dtsamples

dtsamples Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2010
    Wilmington, DE
    If you don't want it, sell it. Just make sure it's actually that you don't want it, not that you think you're not allowed to have it any more.

12. madbassplaya

madbassplaya

Dec 28, 2007
    There's really not a huge music scene around here. I'm not aware of any other gigging besides the bar scene.

This is kind of where I'm at. I hate to give it up and I'm going back and forth on it.

13. dtsamples

dtsamples Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2010
    Wilmington, DE
    I obviously don't know you personally, but I went through something similar. Don't know if you've heard of projective identification, but maybe it's a good idea to talk to your spouse about their expectations/thoughts on the situation. It's possible you feel guilt because you think they resent your gear/time spent playing music. Reality is probably more along the lines of you should spend a little bit less time thinking about gear/music, but not cut it out completely.

14. khutch

khutch Praise Harp

Aug 20, 2011
    suburban Chicago
    My only gig and my only reason for picking up the bass again is a church gig. I have four basses and honestly that is three too many when compared to what I actually need. I do have a practice amp but no other amps because the church sound system handles that. I guess most of the time my wife enjoys hearing the music I practice too because she complains if I practice in headphones but rarely does if I play through the amp. So whether you change your mind about the church gig or not you don't really need much gear to support one and you can "safely" sell off most of what you have if that is what you would like to do.

I really enjoy the church gig. The music is all over the map and the arrangements change frequently, sometimes every time we play a song again. It is a challenging job and I often have to play things I probably would never play on my own. But even ignoring the spiritual aspects it is a good gig. I hope you will reconsider because it would probably be far more interesting than it looks from the outside.

15. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Banned

Jan 20, 2011
    I have no basses now it sucks big fat turds. Keep one.
    I do have an acoustic gtr at least that's something.

16. I would keep one or two of your favorite basses and one amp. You never know when the calling will come and it's nice to have gear you like to use for that calling. I am in the same boat as you. A new full time job with lots of responsibility and hours. A part time job that I have had for years that I love and don't want to leave. And my cover band. Unlike yourself I am still going to play out but only 2 to 3 times a month and only on Saturday nights.

I got rid of a lot of my gear. I went down to 2 basses. Two heads. And two speaker cabs. All small and portable yet loud enough to do any gig. I didn't see the need to have a lot of basses I wasn't going to use. And a 610 cab that was going to sit in my basement. I also got rid of a lot of my lighting and pa.

You gotta do what's right for you but keep in mind you are and always will be a bass player. It's kinda like riding a bike. You never forget how to. So why not be prepared to do so if that chance arrives. Good luck. I hope you stay in it.

17. OP, do what makes you happy. I think you will like to keep some of your favorites with you.

18. I was sort of in your shoes a while back. Not a married and moved thing, but life threw me some curve balls and I went through a long transition/adjustment period. 14 years my bass sat in the case and un-played. Just had no desire to pick it back up. About 5 years ago my brother called me and asked me to join up with the praise band at his church, so I pulled out my old bass and gave it a try . . . loved it and still do. Guess what I'm trying to say is, hang on to at least one. You may get the urge to pick it up someday in the future on short notice. And when you do, it's good to have one that's familiar to you when you do . . . was IME anyway.

19. Bassmunnky

Bassmunnky

Jul 3, 2004
    New York and Philadelphia
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball MusicMan Guitars
    Unless there is an immediate need for food or shelter.

Pack them up...and forget about them (in your house).

Visit a year later, and see how you feel.

And by GOD..don't come Here for Advice! :)

20. Ewo

Ewo a/k/a Steve Cooper Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2008
    Huntington WV
    Add me to the list of folks who thought they were done with playing bass, and then got back into it. (I didn't touch a bass, except for putting them in a closet, for almost ten years.)

Keep at least some of your gear.