getting rid of fretbuzz?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by jazzbasser535, Mar 12, 2006.

1. jazzbasser535

Feb 25, 2006
    How is it possible to set up your bass to get the least amount of fretbuzz? If it matters, I have a Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass.
  2. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

Raising your action should minimalize your fretbuzz. You may have to adjust your truss rod depending on the situation.
  3. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I like having minor curvature to the neck. Just a bit more than flat. This should allow for lower action without the fret buzz.
  4. amistybleu

Jan 15, 2006
    Thornton, CO
    If everything is set the way you like it and you still have that annoying BUZZ:confused: you can try a thicker gauge of string with mo:bassist: tension.
  5. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Before you try to eliminate the "buzz" you first need to set up you bass per the instructions found at the Fender web site. That will probably eliminate your problem. If the problem still persists, then you may have a high fret that will require professional repair.

The proper setup is key.
  6. ehque

Jan 8, 2006
    [JOKE]if you raise your bridge my 2 inches you'll definitely get no buzz. you also get a cool upright tone, i think.[/JOKE]

yup get it set up properly. perhaps try a lighter right hand touch too, digging in will cause buzz on even properly set up instruments.
  7. What is the best way to determine whether you need the truss adjusted or simply need to adjust the saddle height of the offending string?

I have a MMSR5 and I have it set up and tweaked pretty regularly. I just started noticing a pronounced buzz at the 5th fret on the E string and 6th fret on the B string.

8. Ok, call me thick - tell me if this correctly describes the course of action I need to take following the 'B-string as a straight-edge' evaluation;

Scenario #1 - Gap looks good...
    I see there is indeed a business card width or so gap all the way up and down the neck - so that says my neck is straight (or as true as it should be) - so in order to alleviate my buzz issue, I DO indeed need to simply adjust the string height of the offending string at the bridge saddle.

Scenario #2 - Not enough gap...
    OOPS, there is NOT a business card width gap! The straight-edge is making contact or is very close to making contact with a fret or frets in between... My neck must need adjustment. Adjust the truss (carefully - small turns, let it sit, check again, lather, rinse repeat...) - do the straight-edge thing again until I get my business card gap. Then test for buzz... If buzz, adjust at bridge.

Does that sum it up or am I missing something?

Oh, and one more question; I just purchased 4 wall-mounted guitar hangers. Is it ok to leave my basses hanging on the wall of my studio/office between gigs (for a week at a time)? Does this have a negative effect of the neck? The office is atmospherically pretty neutral - not too humid, not to dry - no windows, carpeted, dry-wall, kid-free... a pretty typical, "Dad's get-away" space.

9. sort of a false alarm... I slapped a newer set o strings on and all is well. At our last gig my MM fell forward... flat on the floor - no obvious damage, but the B string had a bit of a small kink in it right at the 6th fret. That was apparently enough to cause it to 'hump' over the fret and lay much lower when played.

New strings... no buzz - but I did to the straight-edge thing before and after and the neck looks nice and straight.

Thanks a bunch for all the info! I am thinking about taking a whack at setting up my Spector. It is in fair shape, action and neck-wise... but I would like to see if I can get my action a little lower.