1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Getting rid of galloping rhythm

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by I am Domokun, May 30, 2007.

1. I've been working 3-finger picking (right hand) into my playing for a while now, i'm pretty comfortable with the strict alteration between fingers....

but when i tremolo pick on one string fast, i keep getting a triplet feel... Any tips on how to even it out so it sounds like proper 8th/16th/32nd quavers? Like Billy Sheehan and John Myung, they sound so even and steady like they're using a pick when using 3 fingers! :(

2. To get "proper quavers" you could try to just use your index and middle, which changes the number of plucks and therefore simplifies things.

Also, I believe Myung might use the ring-middle-index-middle-ring pattern, which can be used in any type of pattern. Is this what you do or do you pluck ring-middle-index-ring?

Hope this helps!

3. MammaryVest

MammaryVest

Oct 18, 2006
    Stoneham, MA
    I would suggest using a slow metronome to help, and gradually build up the speed so you can get the hits on the right beats.

4. El Bajo

El Bajo

Apr 12, 2006
    UK
    +1 on the metronome. Also try angling your wrist so that ists straight, this may mean bringing your arm up a little more.
    The try and angle your wrist so that each finger becomes the same lengh if that makes sense.
    I thought I had this problem when playing a simple 16th song, Stockholm Syndrom by Muse. He said he didnt notice and that only i will notice these little sound diffences. Ask someone if its really obvoius. Alternatively play triplets for every 16th (is that a sextuplet?), so that the sound just sounds like one big ______________________

5. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Inactive

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    +1

I used to have this problem, there was a definate galloping pulse to my three finger playing. Breaking everything right down and building it back up very slowly let me appreciate how to use 3 fingers over the beat and get a steady, continuous motion going.

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 27, 2021