Getting rid of ground loops

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Bass-desires, Feb 13, 2009.

1. Bass-desires

Bass-desires

Oct 25, 2008
    El paso, TX
    Hey guys, I've got a grounding problem on my GSR200. I touch the strings and I get pops through the amp. Anyway, I read the article on removing ground loops off guitarnuts.com and just so I'm clear before I start cutting, and soldering my bass. A few points....

1. I remove where the pot is soldered to the shells and put a negative wire on the terminal that is now free.

2. I desolder the pup's negative wire off the shell. I also remove the output negative wire from the shell as well. (?)

3.I solder all the negative wires together leaving the negative wires all going out via the jack negative. Insulate and pray?

4. lastly put the bridge ground on a ring terminal thats on the pot mount.

Is this all right? Did I miss something very important. I hope someone can make this clear for me. I don't want to hurt my baby:bawl:

Good night fellas, read you in the morning.

2. I think the problem might be that the bridge isn't grounded.

3. Bass-desires

Bass-desires

Oct 25, 2008
    El paso, TX
    Hey thank you for replying. I was wondering if I would get any help. I checked the bridge, pulled the whole thing off ensured it was making good contact. (its NOT supposed to be soldered right?)

In the cavity, its soldered to a shell that goes (eventually) to the grounding at the jack.

I'm having the exact same problem with my rogue 200lx beater.

4. slyjoe

slyjoe Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2008
    Valley of the Sun (AZ)
    Based on the descriptions 1-4 above (set aside for the moment why anyone would do it), the steps have taken the grounds off the pot shells, correct? And then you connect the bridge ground to a ring terminal on a pot shell that is no longer ground?

I would try connecting the bridge ground to where the other negatives are connected at the output jack.

Edit - one other trick - you say it's making good contact with the bridge, so you have and are using a multimeter, correct? If so, you also touch the probe to the strings without removing the bridge. If you get continuity from the strings to the case of the output jack, the ground connection through the bridge is good.

5. Bass-desires

Bass-desires

Oct 25, 2008
    El paso, TX
    Hey thanks again for the reply.

Tried placing the bridge ground at the negative grouping as well as on the ring, same results. (Hell even disconnecting the bridge ground entirely) I get popping when I touch even the tuners. The only thing I can think of at this point is that the wire actually under the bridge isn't making good or any contact at all.

:crying:

6. Bass-desires

Bass-desires

Oct 25, 2008
    El paso, TX
    Yeah, I get good continuity off the bridge and strings. I am thinking its ESD. I mean static is the only thing I can think of that I haven't ruled out. Other than putting on a wrist wrap (lol on stage:eyebrow:) what can be done for this?

Thanks guys again. :cool:

7. slyjoe

slyjoe Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2008
    Valley of the Sun (AZ)
    Touch something else metal before you grab your strings.

If this is happening continuously, it probably isn't static electricity. Static electricity is discharged quickly, and lifting your fingers from the string and touching them again is not really enough time for a significant charge to build up.

Especially if you aren't wearing glass shoes and scraping them on a cat.

8. flewis

flewis Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2006
    Raleigh, NC
    I too believe it's static....hate the dry air.

I have had the same problem with some of my basses and what I found that seems to work, is placing a strip of copper shield tape across the bottom of the pickup pole pieces and solder one end to my pickup shielding. If you don't have your cavities shielded, solder a wire on one of of the copper shield strip and connect to your ground connection. It's seems better to me but someone with more experience (and more knowledgeable,,,,,,which sure be easy :)) may call bull sh*t on me!

Good luck and lets us know how it turns out.

9. Bass-desires

Bass-desires

Oct 25, 2008
    El paso, TX
    Well, it doesn't happen everytime, but just about 85% when its an open string. I found that as long as I maintain some kind of finger contact with the strings either muting or fretting, it doesn't happen. I will go get some copper tape today and shield the pups and see what happens. :bag:

This isn't the only bass that does this. My rogue 200lx (beater) does the same. I got rid of the ground loops and the bass is much quieter. Not silent (yet) but re-wiring significantly reduced the noise.

I'll post tonight and tell you how it goes. Do you want pics?

10. Bass-desires

Bass-desires

Oct 25, 2008
    El paso, TX
    Well I couldn't get any copper tape so no shielding tonight. I practiced for two hours instead.:bassist::D I did find out one very interesting thing. About the hum/popping noise, I hope this information might help others. But I found when I turned the tone knob all the way down, the popping and clicking with my heartbeat (Yes, I heard a click when ever my heart was on the downstroke...kinda wierd) went away.

Simple question now is:

Is this a shielding problem? Or is this a Pot problem?

Just fyi it did this before and after I re-wired it....

What do you recommend?

11. by turning the tone down, you are cutting high frequencies, and that's probably where the noise is most apparent

12. Bass-desires

Bass-desires

Oct 25, 2008
    El paso, TX
    Yeah, I could tell the difference. Why does the static and popping go away though? Are my fingers at a high freq?:rolleyes: Haha.

I don't have too much 'hum' with the tone all the way up, its the popping and static to the rhythm of my heartbeat thats got me stumped

Thank you for helping me out so far fellas:help:

13. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 15, 2021