1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Getting rid of hard water spots on my car?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by RandomEvent, Sep 7, 2008.

1. RandomEvent

RandomEvent

Nov 10, 2007
    OK, so I just washed my car last night, but I noticed something this morning. I have hard water spots over one of my windows, door, and the hood. On the paint, the waterspots have taken on the SLIGHTEST tone of coloring. Normally I use Meguiar's NXT Car Wash, then I use the Mr. Clean water filter, which has always worked fine previously. I noticed last time I left some spots though, and washing my car yesterday didn't remove them.

So, does anyone have any advice to get rid of these spots, or other hard to remove things from your car? For instance, on the same door previously mentioned, I have a bit of cement splatter on the bottom of it that just won't come off 100%. Any tips are appreciated.

2. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    [​IMG]

3. http://www.mrclean.com/en_US/home.do

Our water SUCKS. I use one of these. The filters are expensive but they work GREAT!! You CANNOT let water dry on the car so you must wash in the shade our out of the direct sun. Even after using the filtered water, I dry with a towell.

4. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas
    A real quick wipe with vinegar should get rid of those spots. Make sure you wax asap.

5. biohazed

biohazed

Aug 31, 2008
    Philadelphia, PA
    have hard water problems in Delaware too i wipe down with a soft towel after a wash and that sees to get rid of the water spots for me ..

6. RandomEvent

RandomEvent

Nov 10, 2007
    I'll try these suggestions. The vinegar one might work. These spots have been there for a few weeks, if that matters. They seem to have actually taken on a sort of light brown tinge on my silver paint. Hopefully I can get rid of them.

And I do use the Mr. Clean AutoDry system.

7. vinny

vinny

Apr 3, 2006
    Las Vegas, NV.
    +1 Cheap, easy & effective. WAX PROMPTLY.

8. buzzbass

buzzbass Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    Clay bar and McGuires quick detailer spray

9. MoD_Scotty

MoD_Scotty

Jul 22, 2007
    Thrapston, UK
    ^^^ Definitely clay bar. It's a little bit of labor, but it'll get rid of the spots. Also, don't be afraid to wax your windows (just not the front windshield, nor the rear glass if it has a wiper).

10. +2 to the clay.

11. I always wax my windows (and sunroof) when I wax my car. Cheaper version of RainX, and works just as well. Why do you say not to??

12. After washing the car dry it with a Chamois or a "dry blade" (squeegee) and avoid the problem. Well, next time. :p

13. +1. My water is fine, but I still dry it off after I wash it just to avoid any spotting at all. Nothing more annoying then just washing your car and having a big dust cloud fly towards it while its still wet.

14. RandomEvent

RandomEvent

Nov 10, 2007
    It's actually from my sprinkler system. I've been parking my car away from it now.

15. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    Need to get rid of water spots? May I recommend the

[​IMG]

16. MoD_Scotty

MoD_Scotty

Jul 22, 2007
    Thrapston, UK
    I'm just not a big fan of the effect that waxed or Rain-X'd glass has on the effectiveness of wipers. I think that wipers work better on untreated glass. With wax or Rain-X, the wiper slides across the glass too easily and can't push all the water droplets away. Rain-X is great if your wipers don't work, but otherwise, I'll never use it.

17. Got to have one of these, a must for anyone who washes their car IMO

California Water Blade

I think you can find them in just about any AutoZone type store

18. I never noticed a problem. Next time it rains here (which it rarely does), I'll notice, I'm sure! lol

19. RandomEvent

RandomEvent

Nov 10, 2007
    Vinegar didn't work for my windows. Well it did, but only minimally. I know I can use a clay bar on the paint, but does anyone have more window suggestions?

20. Any kind of car wax should work on your windows, or windex?