1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

getting rid of high-end pre amp "zing"

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by deepestend, Dec 22, 2011.

1. deepestend

deepestend Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 21, 2003
    Brooklyn via Austin and NOLA
    Guitar/Bass Builder and Social Media at Sadowsky
    I'm sure that many of you know what I'm talking about.

I had it in my bart preamp and now I hear it in my audere preamp. It's a high-end zing that seems to always exist. Maybe it's just a given with any preamp... just the way that these things work, but I'd love to get rid of it.

The thing that I love about my passive G&L is that there is no zing. Of course, the tonal options are more limited, but there is a baseline quiet to it that I like.

Any thoughts?

2. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I sold off my last active bass and plan to go passive. I want a change from the usual passive thing.

3. Jefenator

Jefenator Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2008
    Oregon
    I know the new Auderes have that "Z-mode" thing that sounds as though it may address the "zing" problem. (Haven't tried it yet...)

Or maybe wire up an outboard passive tone knob for a low-impedance signal? (Kind of like the simple active EMG V/T wiring.) I haven't tried that, either so I'm not sure how it would compare.

I know what you're talking about, though. I really liked my old Bartolini NTBT but it definitely was not the same thing as a passive tone knob. (Maybe that's why some active circuit designers include that as an option.)

4. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    The "zing" is the true tone of the pickups with round wounds. Passive basses allow the cable and passive controls to roll off the top end. Active basses retain the true sound of the pickup.

So if you are using an Audere, switch it to medium or low Z mode and it will get rid of the zing. Or use different strings.

Wen I wanted to get rid of the round wound zing at one point, I switched to LaBella Deep Talkin' Bass stainless steel flats. They still have a bright top end, but no zing.

5. deepestend

Feb 21, 2003
    I am using Chrome flats and the zing isn't pronounced, but I get what you are saying. It's good to know what it is so that I can account for it.

Right now I've just got a 4 band pre without the Z mode switch, so I'll just adjust the treble/upper mids.

6. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    I think part of that is just the lack of the natural treble rolloff that passives give you (as David/SGD said).

The AGC filter-based preamp (built by John East) allows you to get rid of that "zing" easily. Of course, filter-based EQs work very differently from the traditional boost/cut, so you may not find that it works for you.

The simplest thing would be to add a simple treble rolloff (passive tone control) to the circuit, maybe controlled with a trim pot in the cavity.

7. deepestend

Feb 21, 2003
    Is this what the passive tone control on the Audere 3 band mounted on the jazz plate is for? I never could figure out the purpose of that.

8. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Yep, I believe so. A passive tone control cuts out the treble in a very different way than cutting an active treble control.