Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Getting rid of indents that rack casses make on the top of cabs

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by lewibassist, Sep 11, 2004.

1. Hiya I have just bought a Aguilar cab and i want to rest my head on it. But on the bottom of my case there lumps for head to rest on the cab. On my aguilar cab there is a soft material and the amp case leaves indents on the top of the cab. Is there any way to avoid this happening ?. :confused:

Lewis

2. 1) Place the rack case on the floor with the cab on top of it. This would be a brilliant idea except you have to reach waaaaaay down to the floor to plug in and adjust your controls :scowl: . Plus, bass cabinets sound better coupled to the floor instead of elevated.

2) Borrow a chair from the venue and set the rack on the chair right next to your cabinet. That would be a brilliant idea except the furniture in most clubs is way dorky looking and even if it wasn't, it would still look nacho cheesy to have your gear sitting on a chair borrowed from the club.

3) Bring a piece of 1" to 2" thick, dark gray or black foam rubber that is the same size as your rack and put it in between.

4) Don't worry about the little dents. Life will deal many many challenges, problems, and disappointments that will make the dents so insignificant you will wonder why you ever invested the concern in those little dents.

:)
    -b

3. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    no kidding - i wish i just had little dents to worry about
    instead my life seems to be a series of big dents :meh:

4. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    Memphis
    Go to an office supply or electronics store and buy 4 neoprene mouse pads. Or get a sheet of neoprene if you can find someone who sells it.

5. IvanMike

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    you'll also notice that in most cases those little dents go away after a period of time w/o the amp on the cabinet
    if only life's other dents worked like that :rolleyes:

6. Hiya thanks for replies. I just had an idea. i could get a sheet of thin wood and cover it in black tough material and slide it between the cab and rack. Would that work. I saw someone on here who had done that i think, or somthin like that.

7. IvanMike

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    yup, you could do that

8. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    Mind you that I don't worry about dents in cabs, but it seems to me the neoprene or the foam rubber would be much easier that covering a piece of wood.

9. Yea i agree. Im going to cover a piece of wood for now because i have a gig tomorow and im using my aggie and i wont be able to get any neoprene that soon. But im going to get some, sounds a lot better.

10. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Buy a new toilet bowl brush (don't use a used one), and brush them out.

11. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
    What's wrong with a 1/2" x 18" x 14" piece of foam rubber?

I use a chunk for damping cabinet vibrations that transfer to my rack.

Of course, I don't get indents.