Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Getting rid of my low b??

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by I.'.I.'.Nakoa, Dec 16, 2001.

1. I.'.I.'.Nakoa

I.'.I.'.Nakoa Guest

Aug 10, 2000
    Fort Worth.
    Ok,first off, i play a soundgear 5er... my band tunes down to c# so my low b never gets any real usage. so i just tune the 3 string down and then the rest of the other 3 strings... i am thinking about stringing it up where ill have a higher string and that way, i can follow the guitar player a little more than i do.. ok heres my questions:

If i string it like i said, with a higher string, will my strings be tighter?
    in standard e-g tuning or in c#
    or

would i have to readjust the neck or the bridge???

thanks in advance

ps: sorry merls if this is posted in the wrong forum, but this seemd the place to post it.

nakoa

edit: i meaqnt to put an E inplace of the first 3 in " so i just tune the 3 string down and then the rest of the other 3 strings... " sorry!

2. K, it took me a couple reads, but I finally understand what you're saying. Sorry, I'm a little slow sometimes.

having a high C instead of a low B has always been something I pondered doing to my own 5er, but I figured it was too much work. See... normally one would probably buy a 6 string set or something so you can get that higher gauge, and then you may have to replace your nut because the strings will be a little smaller and therefore will not fit as snugly, thus resulting in very bad things. See how it seems like a lot of work just to try it out-especially on a soundgear, which I personally don't think it's worth doing to (don't be insulted or anything cos I play an SR305DX so I'm in the same boat as you)

But you can avoid this, as I'm sure you're aware because of the whole band playing in C# thing. You can simply tune up two steps from standard tuning (BEADG will become C#F#BEA) and voila!

So, finally to answer your question:
    Yes, the strings will be slightly tighter, which is the desired effect, i believe? I doubt you will have to make any changes to the neck; MAYBE (but not likely) adjust your intonation.

Hope I didn't confuse you with my extra blurb of stuff you probably already know, hence the question. :rolleyes: Sorry. :)

3. I.'.I.'.Nakoa

I.'.I.'.Nakoa Guest

Aug 10, 2000
    Fort Worth.
    oh no, you helped i should get a job now and buy a 6er instead of doing all that stuff to find out i liked a low b string more than a c... thanks!

4. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    I don't understand...why tune down? You have the C# on your second fret.

5. I.'.I.'.Nakoa

I.'.I.'.Nakoa Guest

Aug 10, 2000
    Fort Worth.
    its easier ;) :rolleyes:

6. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Maybe I got lucky, but I bought a six string set, put the B aside and strung up EADGC on my fiver. The strings LOOK like they're loose in the nut when in fact there are no bad buzzes or rattles or side effects. I pop (when no ones looking) and haven't had one "jump out" yet, either. I had to do a quick action adjustment, but nothing else, really. Yes, there will be more tension on the neck, but I don't think this will have any adverse effect.

Perhaps I'm a special case and got lucky, but this is just a success story to show that it CAN be done.

7. I have a similar experience to SuperDuck.

I just went and bought a five string 100 - 28 set and popped them on to my Emperor five. With a few tweaks on the truss everything plays fine. I guess if you went too light in the gauges you might get more problems. I would say try it before you start changing drastic things, like the nut.