Getting rid of my low b??

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by I.'.I.'.Nakoa, Dec 16, 2001.

1. I.'.I.'.Nakoa

I.'.I.'.Nakoa Guest

Aug 10, 2000
    Fort Worth.
    Ok,first off, i play a soundgear 5er... my band tunes down to c# so my low b never gets any real usage. so i just tune the 3 string down and then the rest of the other 3 strings... i am thinking about stringing it up where ill have a higher string and that way, i can follow the guitar player a little more than i do.. ok heres my questions:

If i string it like i said, with a higher string, will my strings be tighter?
    in standard e-g tuning or in c#

would i have to readjust the neck or the bridge???

thanks in advance

ps: sorry merls if this is posted in the wrong forum, but this seemd the place to post it.

edit: i meaqnt to put an E inplace of the first 3 in " so i just tune the 3 string down and then the rest of the other 3 strings... " sorry!
  2. K, it took me a couple reads, but I finally understand what you're saying. Sorry, I'm a little slow sometimes.

having a high C instead of a low B has always been something I pondered doing to my own 5er, but I figured it was too much work. See... normally one would probably buy a 6 string set or something so you can get that higher gauge, and then you may have to replace your nut because the strings will be a little smaller and therefore will not fit as snugly, thus resulting in very bad things. See how it seems like a lot of work just to try it out-especially on a soundgear, which I personally don't think it's worth doing to (don't be insulted or anything cos I play an SR305DX so I'm in the same boat as you)

But you can avoid this, as I'm sure you're aware because of the whole band playing in C# thing. You can simply tune up two steps from standard tuning (BEADG will become C#F#BEA) and voila!

So, finally to answer your question:
    Yes, the strings will be slightly tighter, which is the desired effect, i believe? I doubt you will have to make any changes to the neck; MAYBE (but not likely) adjust your intonation.

Hope I didn't confuse you with my extra blurb of stuff you probably already know, hence the question. :rolleyes: Sorry. :)
  3. I.'.I.'.Nakoa

I.'.I.'.Nakoa Guest

Aug 10, 2000
    Fort Worth.
    oh no, you helped i should get a job now and buy a 6er instead of doing all that stuff to find out i liked a low b string more than a c... thanks!
  4. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    I don't understand...why tune down? You have the C# on your second fret.
  5. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Maybe I got lucky, but I bought a six string set, put the B aside and strung up EADGC on my fiver. The strings LOOK like they're loose in the nut when in fact there are no bad buzzes or rattles or side effects. I pop (when no ones looking) and haven't had one "jump out" yet, either. I had to do a quick action adjustment, but nothing else, really. Yes, there will be more tension on the neck, but I don't think this will have any adverse effect.

Perhaps I'm a special case and got lucky, but this is just a success story to show that it CAN be done.
  6. I have a similar experience to SuperDuck.

I just went and bought a five string 100 - 28 set and popped them on to my Emperor five. With a few tweaks on the truss everything plays fine. I guess if you went too light in the gauges you might get more problems. I would say try it before you start changing drastic things, like the nut.