getting RID OF new string sound

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by All_¥our_Bass, Jul 23, 2005.

1. All_¥our_Bass

Dec 26, 2004
    I just got new strings, the ones that were on my bass before that were on for an estimated 10 months(I have only owned the bass for 8 months but I could tell they were somewhat used-they didn't sound brand new)

It's not like the new string sound is so unbearable that I won't play. But I like my strings sound in the 'Been broken in for 2 months' - break/become 'thudders' time

So how can I kill the new string sound faster so I can enjoy that warm, used sound?
  2. Yeah just use em lots. I put a new set of D'Addario's on last month and I don't like the real brightness either, but the more you play em the less bright they get.

FWIW - What are the least "Bright" strings when new?
  3. keb

Mar 30, 2004
    Eat some greasy pizza or fried chicken, don't wash your hands, and play a zillion slap riffs for a couple hours. That should kill 'em!

I don't like that new roundwound string sound either. In years past, if it didn't have that zip, I was changing out the strings; but more recently my tastes have changed. I'm thinking of trying some half-rounds (and I have a set of TI Jazz flats on the way to experiment with.)
  4. LowEnd Theory

LowEnd Theory

May 31, 2005
    I just recently purchased some DR's on my quest for a little dirtier sound.... everything else to this point was a lil too bright on the high end...
    Anyone have any opinion on these?
    Marcus Miller says theyre good.... :bassist:
    well, whatever :meh:
  5. Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    The Elixirs I got in my trial werent too bright, like a set of broken strings if you ask me.