Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

getting RID OF new string sound

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by All_¥our_Bass, Jul 23, 2005.

1. All_¥our_Bass

All_¥our_Bass

Dec 26, 2004
    I just got new strings, the ones that were on my bass before that were on for an estimated 10 months(I have only owned the bass for 8 months but I could tell they were somewhat used-they didn't sound brand new)

It's not like the new string sound is so unbearable that I won't play. But I like my strings sound in the 'Been broken in for 2 months' - break/become 'thudders' time

So how can I kill the new string sound faster so I can enjoy that warm, used sound?

2. Yeah just use em lots. I put a new set of D'Addario's on last month and I don't like the real brightness either, but the more you play em the less bright they get.

FWIW - What are the least "Bright" strings when new?

3. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    Eat some greasy pizza or fried chicken, don't wash your hands, and play a zillion slap riffs for a couple hours. That should kill 'em!

I don't like that new roundwound string sound either. In years past, if it didn't have that zip, I was changing out the strings; but more recently my tastes have changed. I'm thinking of trying some half-rounds (and I have a set of TI Jazz Flats on the way to experiment with.)

4. LowEnd Theory

LowEnd Theory

May 31, 2005
    I just recently purchased some DR's on my quest for a little dirtier sound.... everything else to this point was a lil too bright on the high end...
    Anyone have any opinion on these?
    Marcus Miller says theyre good.... :bassist:
    well, whatever :meh:
    LET

5. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    The Elixirs I got in my trial werent too bright, like a set of broken strings if you ask me.