Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Getting Rid of Non-Players

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassmangreg, Jul 12, 2002.

1. I am wondering who gets rid of their non player basses even though they like them. I have a L2500 and although it's a great player bass it just don't seem to fit in with my style. I'm not talking about musical style but more like a personal feel/style. The neck seems shortened on this bass. I like basses that have wider string spacings. Besides, I still can't figure out how to change that dag-gone station or to shut off the radio when it's in the active mode.

Who have a bass that you would love to keep except it just don't work for you?

2. I had a G&L 2500 that I ended up getting rid of. I really liked the sound of the bass but the string spacing kind of got to me. At the time I was playing in a hardcore funk band-- James Brown, Parliament type stuff-- and a lot of the songs required slapping which I just couldn't get a good feel for on the 2500. I also had a Carvin LB75 with the same string spacing issues. I was able to get a more appropriate sound, though, so I ended up using that one as my main bass while I was in that band. Eventually I sold both of them and got a couple Lakland 55-94. Now I get the sound I like with no string spacing issues.;)

3. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    My Peavey T-40. I know some people 'round here love 'em, but I think it's a piece of junk. Yet, it's the bass I learned to play on, and the only bass I owned for the first 12 years of playing, so I can't bring myself to sell it.

Now, if someone offered me $1,000 (this week), I might just take 'em up on that offer. Aside from that, it's nothing more than a dust collector.

4. finn74

finn74

Nov 28, 2001
    The first bass I ever purchased, can't remember the brand (pawn shop special) but it was a piece of crap. I did myself justice and helped make a kids dream come true by giving it to him. That's how you get rid of those kinds of basses.

5. I sold the $55 ebay special I picked up a few months ago. It was a P bass clone, and a total POS, even after putting EMGs in it. I sold my half stack four years ago before I went to basic training. But that was because I needed the money, and the space in my car for the move.

Other than that, I've kept every thing. I now have 4 basses, and plan on keeping them all in steady rotation.

6. Actually, I'm in the process of doing just that. My 1979 P bass is up on ebay with a couple hours left as we speak, I sold/traded away all of my J-style basses, so now aside from my token 5 string, and my 'specialty' basses (acoustic fretted, acoustic fretless, beater to leave at a friend's house) I'm down to my G&L L2K and a Stingray as my main two basses. The L2K is the keeper, the Ray may be used as trade/sale-bait, not sure yet. Basically, if I'm not playing it regularly, it's gonna get moved.

mike
    dude's roadie

7. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    I've just done it....got rid of all my high-end stuff..a bunch of Laklands, Modulus, etc. and haven't missed them at all. I'm now down to a '62 RI Jazz and a G&L L2000. Both are great but I'm not totally sold on either and might work a sale/trade for the right bass. But I'm limiting myself to 2 because that's all I need to gig.

I just don't get any enjoyment outta keeping a bunch of electrics any longer..they're just tools to me. I just need what I'll use.

8. I'd love to keep both my Spector and Stingray, but they both just don't seem "right" for me. Both of them are just missing something that I can't put my finger on. Right now I'm holding onto my G&L L-2500 and Zon fretless, but I think both of those might even be leaving once I can secure another good fretted bass and another fretless.

9. I have a Peavey something or other that I don't use, gave it to a church, theirs (Squire) got stolen. I didn't really like the feel of the neck. It was a P bass copy that could only sound like a P bass. My current Schecter is more versatile. Fun to play too!

10. tim4003

tim4003

Apr 30, 2002
    Dawsonville , GA
    Excellent idea!
    I have an old Univox 4 string I'd GIVE to anyone that was interested in learning to play bass.

11. I've had two basses the last couple years that i really liked but just didn't end up playing that much.The first was a Carvin LB 76.When I first played it I was amazed at how easy it played.I was not looking for a 6-string but when I played it and heard it I had to get it.It was great for fooling around at home but when gigging I just never used the C string much,so I would just grab my Jazz bass most of the time.
    The other was a Yamaha BB2000.Great 4 string bass.I got it to replace my Jazz when I started having trouble with the neck.It was the best 4-string i'd had yet and played great.When I got rid of my Jazz I got a Peavey Millenium 5.I discovered that 6 was too much and 4 wasn't quite enough.5 was just right so I sold the Yamaha and got a Kingston 5 for a backup.It's great and I have no regrets.I found that if you get something that you like better or works better for you it's not as painfull.

12. Depends on the bass. I have a '79 Ibanez Musician that I bought new in college. It still looks new (I didn't play it for 20 years!) and I just can't part with it even though I never play it. OTOH, I just sold a '72 Fender Jazz that I just never used and I thought would be better served with someone who would play it. I realized early that the DP Custom wasn't for me and would need to go and I have no regrets about getting rid of it.

I will not part with my Sadowskys, Fender JP Relic and my "built from scratch" fretless. The Warmoth and Zon are on the bubble. Too early to tell with the Modulus, but it seems to be a keeper.

Jeff

13. That's sort of a tough call. If you think you might regret not having it, and don't need the money, I'd hang on to it. OTOH, if you don't think you'd miss it at all, it'd probably be fine to put it up for sale. Fortunately, L2500's are not so hard to come by that you couldn't replace it if you decided you wanted one again later.

At the moment, I'm sort of in "acquisition" mode, and am up to half a dozen different basses (at the same time!), because I ran across good deals on things I was interested in. That number will probably drop back down if I don't find myself "bonding" with some of the current instruments, though. To be honest, I'd really like to go back to being a "one bass" kinda guy, but I've owned so many different instruments now that I can't ever see that happening...there's always something to miss about the ones that are gone!

Mike

14. Johnalex

Johnalex

Jul 20, 2001
    South Carolina
    I had a Connklin GT-4....I really did not like it at all. The string spacing was wacky and I hated the sound. So I sold it on Ebay :eek: .

15. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    No regrets: Yamaha TRBII5 fretless. I needed lines I could actually see and the input was at a crazy angle. Stingray 5 sounded great at home but amplified on stage could not cut through for some reason. MIA P-bass. Too used to active sound by the time I got this. Warwick Corvette Standard. Was giving me cramps 30 minutes into gig. Carvin LB75P. Too many tweaks to get to my sound, which rendered most of the features unnecessary.

Regrets: Carvin LB75. Solid bass. Workhorse. Perfect backup. No reason to sell other than to show wife determination to downsize. Ibanez Verdine White 4. Still love that cream color. Very interesting bass. Warwick FNA 4. Had the sound, but listened to all the "one trick pony" people.