1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Getting rid of straplock squeak

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Smallmouth_Bass, Apr 16, 2009.

1. Smallmouth_Bass

Smallmouth_Bass

Dec 29, 2005
    Canada
    I know most of us fall into two camps of straplock users: Dunlops and Schallers. I have and personally prefer the Schallers, but the one thing I do not like too much is that they can often squeak. I have one particular set on one bass that seems to be worse than the others.

My question to you Schaller users (and anyone who might know) is: how do you get rid of the squeaking? Do you have a specific favorite lubrication that is not too messy and gets the job done? Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

2. 20db pad

20db pad

Feb 11, 2003
    I been everywhere, man...
    None. At all.
    Just the teeniest drop of Armor All worked for me.

3. I'm gonna recommend that to my roommate, he has this old Silvertone gumby-looking guitar with a very microphoinic pickup, and half of what it seems to pick up is the creaking of the strap against the body of the guitar. It sounds like the timbers of an old tall-masted ship creaking in the waves

4. Smallmouth_Bass

Smallmouth_Bass

Dec 29, 2005
    Canada
    Interesting. I would have never expected that. I was thinking I would get WD40 or Vaseline suggestions (which may work too).

5. MIJ-VI

MIJ-VI Banned Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Hi Smallmouth_Bass.

I used to use Strap Locks until they fell apart.

I then switched to P/J Bass string retainers like these, along with a thick & wide leather strap (for good instrument weight distribution), 20 years ago and haven't looked back.

6. Smallmouth_Bass

Smallmouth_Bass

Dec 29, 2005
    Canada
    Interesting idea, although I don't like the idea of having a strap permanently attached to a bass. I take it the strap can come on and off with those retainers?

7. There's guys who use $100,000 guitars that trust an old strap with the little red rubber washers that come on Grolsch beer bottles.

8. Smallmouth_Bass

Smallmouth_Bass

Dec 29, 2005
    Canada
    Yeah, I have seen that. I wouldn't be one of those guys! :p

9. MIJ-VI

MIJ-VI Banned Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Yes the strap can be removed.