Getting rid of that cigarette smell.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by IamGroot, Mar 2, 2018.

Tags:
  1. IamGroot

IamGroot

Jan 18, 2018
    Playing in bars for fun and some heavy smokers in there.

Throw my clothes in the washer and shower as soon as I get home. What can you do about the smoke smell on the bass, case, amp, etc.

Giffro and ELynx like this.
  2. Giffro

Giffro

Apr 29, 2017
    South Australia
    I used a product years ago called Nilodor..1 drop on the carpet inside the car may help get rid of the smoke smell from your clothes on the drive home..it may work inside a guitar case for the bass guitar..just put the 1 drop in a spot away from contact with the bass, probably best on a piece of cloth. Not sure how to get the smell outta ya amp..maybe a drop on the carpet in the room where you keep the amp. Not sure if you can buy it in your country or not but its a great product here in Australia...will kill Skunk odor. I left bait in my car after fishing one weekend..it killed the smell after a couple applications. 1 drop is usually enough. Its an odor eliminator. Anything is worth a try to get smells out. Have a look at these reviews.
    Nilodor Deodorizer Concentrate

Last edited: Mar 6, 2018
  3. What parts of gear actually smell?
    For bass I think fingerboard - I used fret oil, and still can pick it's smell, several months later. And it really smelled lemony first week. Don't think it is body or back of neck, if it is not an "open pore" finish.
    For case - I guess any spray-on home cleaning stuff will help.
    And for cab - this may be not possible. Paper on speakers is sure do absorbing smoke, plus smoke gets inside, so only a complete cleanup in and out might help.

What I would be more concerned with is your lungs tho. I get it that you don't smoke. Passive smoking is as bad IIRC.

4. IamGroot

IamGroot

Jan 18, 2018
    Former chain smoker. Quit the day I got married.Yep, 2nd hand smoke sucks.

5. StudioStuntz

StudioStuntz

Jul 19, 2015
    I was constantly playing the club scene, and the only thing worse than the smell of nicotine on my gear, was the smell of stale booze, which of course you don't notice till its in your car or domicile.

6. ONYX

ONYX

Apr 14, 2000
    Michigan
    It's a losing battle if you're only going to return to a smoke filled room. It kinda goes with the job.

7. jasmangan

jasmangan

Jul 13, 2008
    You can still smoke in bars? Big Bro made that decision for all of us here in MA

8. Giffro

Giffro

Apr 29, 2017
    South Australia
    Every venue in Australia also..outside the clubs and pubs have a small smoking area in most places.

9. IamGroot

IamGroot

Jan 18, 2018
    I live in Texas.... cheap women and expensive diesel trucks. Both of them smoke.

10. Chicory Blue

Chicory Blue Secretly Queen of the Moon Supporting Member

I fight fire with fire- or rather, smoke with smoke- and just burn hella incense in my room, so my clothes and instruments all smell too much like flowers and rosemary for anyone to notice that my old roommate smoked in the house.

--^@

11. klejst

klejst

Oct 5, 2010
    I wash my clothes with a good smelling detergent and then use a sanitizer detergent as well (I think Lysol makes it) and the follow up with a good smelling dryer sheet. Usually does the job nine times out of 10. Also during the Summer months I hang clothes or stuff that stinks outside to air out.

12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 24, 2021