Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Getting rid of the new string sound

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by fenbull, Nov 30, 2003.

1. fenbull

fenbull

Oct 31, 2003
    Akron ohio
    I bought a Yamaha BB405 and have no idea what brand Yamaha puts on the bass from the factory. I think rotowounds. I also read somewhere about putting butter on them etc to get rid of the metalic sound. Any ideas? I like the feel of the set on the bass and dont feel i need to change them. I have been playing on them for 2 weeks daily and the ting sound is still there.Wouldnt butter being an animal product get gross?:bassist:

2. (Even though Rotosound did invent the roundwound string they are reffered to as roundwound strings.)

I heard of people doing it with butter and chicken grease, but I used chapstick. Worked remarkibly well!

3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    FHS don't use butter. Don't mess up your strings. When you don't like roundwounds get flatwounds.

4. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    I heard this tech say that he heard some guys would rub BBQ sauce on their strings before putting them on to take away the brightness. It sounds crazy to me. If you don't like the bright, get a set of flats. That should cure your problem.

5. fenbull

fenbull

Oct 31, 2003
    Akron ohio
    chapstick...sounds cool. Do nickel have a less metalic sound than SS? Also will i get the brightness from round wounds by going to flats or will they sound more dull? I also heard there are semi round or ground wounds that are a little less bright ...how are they?

6. Jeeze I wish I had your taste. I wouldnt be going through so much string money...

I would love to be able to change my strings once every three days. They just don't last long with me...

7. Fen, this was written by "Flatwound" a member of TB and moderator on another bass board called www.bassplaza.com
    I find it very useful for new bassist, maybe you will too.

Flatwound, Roundwound, Tapewound, and Half-round.

Roundwounds are probably the most common strings in general use. These come in a fairly bewildering variety including stainless steel, nickel-plated, pure nickel wrapped, alloy 52, gold-plated, chrome-plated, and I'm sure others.

Further confusing the matter is that some have hex cores, and some have round cores, which affects both flexibility and sound. Also, some are taper-wound, meaning that the outer winding tapers down to a single wrap, or even the exposed core at the bridge end. Some examples are as follows:

stainless:

Rotosound 77
    DR Hi-Beams, Lo-Riders, and Fat Beams
    Dean Markley Blue Steel and Superbass
    Fender 7350
    GHS Super Steels
    La Bella Hard Rockin' Steels
    Ernie Ball Stainless Slinkys
    D'Addario Prism

Stainless, in my experience, tend to be the brightest of the rounds, with maybe less of a low-mid emphasis.

Nickel:
    GHS Boomers
    Ernie Ball Slinkys
    Webstrings
    D'Addario XL and Slowound
    Fender 7150 (pure nickel) 7250 (Nickel Plated)
    DR Sunbeams and Nickel Lo-Riders
    La Bella Slappers
    TI Powerbass
    Danelectro Vintage Bass
    D'Aquisto Rock Bottoms
    Ken Smith Burners
    Everly Rockers

Nickels, again IME, tend to be a good compromise between warmth and brightness, with good midrange punch. They definitely don't all sound the same.

Alloy 52
    GHS Progressives
    Everly B-52 Rockers

I like Alloy 52. I feel that I get a bright, clean sound, but still with the punch of nickel.

Other:
    Maxima Gold which are really gold plated
    Maxima Chrome, the only chrome-plated roundwound I'm aware of.
    D'Addario XL Reds - these are out of production, AFAIK. Copper wound. I have heard that they turned black fairly quickly, and turned your fingers black. I have no experience with them, though.

Then, of course, there are the coated strings, like Elixir and the D'Addario EXP which are nickel-wound strings with a synthetic coating to make them last longer.

The examples are just that, examples. I couldn't possibly list every string made (or every brand sold), so there's a lot left out.

Flatwounds tend to have a darker sound with a stronger attack. Again there are lots of variations. GHS, Fender, D'Aquisto, and Labella flats, for instance, have a final wrap of flat stainless steel. Ernie Ball flats and D'Addario Chromes have a chrome-plated steel outer wrap. Pyramid Gold and Thomastik-Infeld Jazz flats have a pure nickel outer wrap. Rotosound 77's use monel (a corrosion resistant metal consisting of mostly nickel and copper) for the final wrap. I've tried the Fenders, GHS, Ernies, Chromes, TI's and Rotos. IME, the Fenders, GHS, and Ernies are pretty thumpy with that lo-mid bump happening. TI's are just... different. I like them, but I don't know what to compare them to. They have a silk underlay wrap inside that changes the sound somewhat. They still sound like flats to me, but not like any others I've tried. The Roto 77's are much brighter than most flats, without the strong attack of, say, Fenders.

Then there are tapewounds. The only ones I know of are GHS, LaBella, Rotosound, Fender, and Status. Maybe Picato, I'm not sure; you don't see Picato strings much here in the States. I have only tried the LaBellas (760N) and the Rotosounds (88). The LaBellas are deep and thumpy like flats, IME, but have quite a bit of brightness available, too. They don't sound like flatwounds.

Roto's are also the only tapes I'm aware of that come in short scale (RS 88S).

Some folks love half-rounds, some folks hate 'em. I've used D'Addario Half-Rounds somewhat, and I think they live up to their ad copy. Bright, almost like roundwounds, but with less finger noise, and good punch. Easy on frets.

Others of this type are GHS Brite Flats, Dean Markley Ground Roundwound, Status Halfwound, and others.

[​IMG]
    Treena

8. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I don't like flats on BG - they are too dull and you can't get that kind of slap/pop tone that roundwounds do. I also personally feel that you can't get the same harmonics on flats as you can on rounds.

Having tried loads of strings - I find nickel roundwounds to be the most versatile and perfect for me - they can do classic slap, fingerstyle, harmonics etc, - but are not so scratchy and metallic as SS.

Flats are only good for one style in my opinion - the P "thud" for classic rock.

ED - as pointed out!

9. slugworth

slugworth Banned

Jun 12, 2003
    So. Calif.
    You can buy new sets of strings and send them
    to Slugworth, I will send you back a well
    broken-in set which don't sound so bright:-0

Slug:D

10. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Are you sure that you didn't mean flats?

11. fenbull

fenbull

Oct 31, 2003
    Akron ohio
    Thanks Treena for the help also thanks to Bruce. this helped in getting me more info on strings. I think i will try the nickel to get the scratchy sound out. The only time i ever played a fretted bass with flats was 20 years or more ago with my friends pawn shop bass. Now i know why it sounded so dull and dark. Tapewounds are flat right? I might go with a ground wound in nickel and see if that is the ticket!:bassist: