1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Getting rig gig-ready

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mrokern, Aug 16, 2007.

1. mrokern

mrokern TB's resident Rush freak

Jul 20, 2007
    Minneapolis, MN
    Now that I've (for the moment) settled on my latest rig incarnation, I'm kicking around how to best make it gig-happy. Everything is fine for practice, but I want to make it simple to set up, and cable it for the lowest noise possible.

(If this needs to be moved, please do so...but since my amp is a large part of the question, I put it here.)

The rig is:

Bass -> Sennheiser Wireless -> BOD XT Live -> Crown XTi -> GK Stack

I'm fine for amp to cabinets, the catch comes in a couple of places.

The BOD is obviously a floorboard and I'd like it to live downstage...it also has an unbalanced input and unbalanced outputs (Line 6 was out of their minds on that one). :rollno:

I'd also like to rack the Sennheiser back by the stack along with the Crown. I have a 4-space rack that is perfect for the amp and transporting it is easy, so I'd like to keep it.

Is running unbalanced from the wireless receiver by the stack to the BOD downstage, and then running an unbalanced line back to the Crown (adapting to XLR at the rack) going to cause me grief? I suppose it isn't much different from running an unbalanced straight from the bass to the BOD and then out... :meh:

I will be inserting DI boxes on the BOD's direct and modeled outputs for the house, and the amp will come off of the pass-through on the modeled side.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

-Mark

2. Lonnybass

Lonnybass Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2000
    San Diego
    Endorsing Artist: Pedulla Basses
    Sounds a little bit complicated especially if you're going to gig with it fairly frequently and won't have the luxury of a relaxed, leisurely setup time.

I've been gigging steadily with my present band for almost 5 years now - mostly at shows in which we're the only act, affording us lots of time to arrive early, get the stage rig wired up and not be stumbling over each other - or sound men - in the process. It's definitely a luxury!

But six or seven years ago, when my old band would share the bill with three other bands on crowded stages, the race to set up, play and get off as quickly as possible was (sadly) all that seemed to matter. Looking back, I don't know how I managed to keep my sanity as I raced to make sure everything was patched in and working correctly without tripping over the sound guy or running out of cable. I would have definitely gone the simple route then!

Even now, where a quick setup time, isn't the issue, I've worked to consolidate equipment as much as possible by minimizing cable runs and patching that needs to be done before go-time.

Lonnybass

3. enim

enim

Jun 29, 2006
    Chicago, Illinois
    Make a double cable. A little time intensive, but take your two cables, twist them together and wrap them up. That way, you have one cable to run, rather then two, makeing it all that much faster.

Even better yet, find a way to wrap it up preshow, so you can set your rack case down, and just pull the POD straight out front, already patched.

4. mrokern

mrokern TB's resident Rush freak

Jul 20, 2007
    Minneapolis, MN
    A loom is definitely something I think would work...my soldering skills are still top-notch from my road days, so I could custom-make the cables.

Any thoughts on balancing the output line before it gets too far from the BOD, or should I be fine running that length of an unbalanced? Again, I suppose it is no different from a normal pedal board...

Thanks,

-Mark

5. Lonnybass

Lonnybass Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2000
    San Diego
    Endorsing Artist: Pedulla Basses
    I think your biggest issue running that amount of cable is the loss of treble if you are playing a passive bass.