1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Getting ripped off on a trade?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Murph_Orpheus, Oct 1, 2010.

1. I went into a local store today to try out some Genz Benz XB2 cabinets that I had intended trading my GK Neo 212 and Neo 410 for(reason being I find the GK cabs to be too bright for my liking). The Genz cabinets I tried were the 410T XB2 and the 115T XB2. As soon as I played them I was in love, punchy with a fat low end. So I got talking to the store owner about a deal and he said that even with the trade of my 2 GK cabs that it would cost another €1000 on top of that for the 2 Genz cabs. I'd definitely be getting ripped off if I went through with this wouldn't I!?

2. jackcheez

jackcheez

Sep 13, 2010
    Long Beach, CA
    Trade it will never get you what you would get if you sold them yourself.

3. snyderz

snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    Rule #1. Never trade with a retail store.
    Rule #2. See Rule #1.

4. mulchor

mulchor

Apr 21, 2010
    St Pete, FL
    To be fair to a store... a business operates on cash flow.

To be fair to a customer... you want to use the value in your existing equipment.

There's just no way to be fair to both at the same time.

"Ripped off" is subjective -- with consenting adults, all is fair even if someone's getting screwed.

5. Lazarus.Bird

Lazarus.Bird Mr. Personality

Aug 16, 2010
    Pittsburgh
    It's not called getting ripped off, it's called doing business. They don't just trade gear to trade gear, they need to make a profit. If you're looking for fair, find an individual to trade with or sell your gear outright via classifieds/craigslist then buy the cabs from the store.

6. 3tsb

3tsb

Nov 17, 2009
    CHICAGO
    If he's going to sell it at fair market price, he has to make you an offer that would be profitable to him. I'm sure he's not doing this because he loves musicians and wants to do whatever he can to "help" them out. This is his job, he may have a family, he may like to eat, he may like electricity, etc...If he's telling you what he'll give you for it, before you say "yes" or "no"...HOW IS IT A RIP OFF???

7. Tampabass

Tampabass Going Viral By 2080 Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2006
    Tampa
    Also to be fair, some stores will gladly take advantage of young customers who don't know the open-market value of what they own, and give those customers a tiny fraction of what their goods are worth. IMO, ripping off a kid isn't cool. Or fair.

8. JMac- Wiskerface Designs

JMac- Wiskerface Designs Terror headcase dude

Jul 8, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Sell'em locally, take the cash and put it on the Benz cabs You want. Anytime You try to trade with a retail music store, large chain or mom and pop it doesn't matter, You will lose money on Your gear. It took me some time to figure that out myself, but after a few trade in deals that I regreted latter I figured out that it wasn't kind on the wallet to do trade in deals with stores. Don't let the GAS get the best of You, sell the gear Yourself and come out on top. Retail stores of any type are in the business to make money, plain and simple.

9. I understand he has to do business. He's actually giving me more on my cabs than I would get if I sold them privately. Both cabs cost me €1128 combined brand new. He's giving me €1000 for them and asking for another €1000 for the Genz cabs. I just feel it's steep. Which is unfortunate cos I really like them.

10. JMac- Wiskerface Designs

JMac- Wiskerface Designs Terror headcase dude

Jul 8, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Murph,
    Sounds like the old car lot deal. He is just moving the numbers. He is trying to make You feel like he's giving You an awesome price for Your cabs, but yet he is charging You full retail for the new Benz cabs. Whereas if You bought the Benz cabs out right, he would probably give You a discounted price. A trade in is a trade in, It doesn't matter how You move the numbers. IMO

11. Yeah I was weary from the offset when he was quoting stuff to me. I'm pretty sure I'm not going to do the deal anyway, as I don't have that cash just lying around. Guess it's time to go back to searching for a better deal and try sell them privately again.

12. KramerBassFan

KramerBassFan

Jan 3, 2009
    Now a days, with the internet, if you don't do the research on your OWN, then it is ONES own fault that they get "ripped off".

Do the leg work, and get your own value.

Be lazy, and don't even type "1976 Ampeg SVT" into google search, and it is your own fault that you accept $150 for it.

(Just an example)

Thats my take on this... and you can always say NO!!

13. pedroims

pedroims

Dec 19, 2007
    Michigan
    stores usually try to get 100% of profit, so if they can sell your cabs for $500 they will offer you $250 as trade value.. that's how it works, their open their doors everyday with one thing in mind: PROFITS.

Try to sell your cabs by your own, then come back to the store and make an offer, do not pay the sticker price. its a win-win

14. pedroims

pedroims

Dec 19, 2007
    Michigan
    So why are you saying that you will be getting ripped off ? What is the street price for the GB cabs?

15. 3tsb

3tsb

Nov 17, 2009
    CHICAGO
    That's 50% profit. There is no such thing as 100% profit as everything has a cost.

16. I'm confused - aren't the prices marked on the Genz cabs? What's the going retail price for them in Ireland? for example here you will expect to pay about $900 for the 4x10 and $750 for the 1x15.

Check around if there are other stores that sell them, or check online retailers and see what the prevailing retail price is and then determine if he's trying to screw you or not.

17. +1

18. sounds like a rip off...some store owners are "out for blood," haha. Eventually you can find gear for the price you want via ebay, talkbass, craigslist...welcome to the global economy.

19. Lazarus.Bird

Lazarus.Bird Mr. Personality

Aug 16, 2010
    Pittsburgh
    Also, and this is especially true for local stores, they're going to prefer cash over a trade in any day of the week, and will be more willing to barter with you. If you walk in there, say "Here's $900 cash. I want those cabs that are marked at $1000. Make me a deal and I'll walk out of here with them today." What's the worst that can happen? They'll say no, or maybe make you a better deal on another item they have that hasn't been moving but still might be to your liking.

20. somegeezer

somegeezer

Oct 1, 2009
    England
    The store spends $250 and makes $500? They earned what they paid and a profit of $250. That is 100% of $250.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 7, 2021