1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Getting sick of my Jazz's Tone!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Modern Growl, Apr 6, 2006.

1. So is it that Modern Growl is getting sick of "growl"? I don't know, you tell me!

I'm seriously getting tiered of the 'wooden' tone of my Fender Jazz. The once vintage growl is turning to an anemic/dry tone to me. I'm starting to lean more an more toward liking a smooth, super fat, thick n' greasey tone! Tone that sounds like thick oil! mmm.....

What can I do? My head is an Eden WT330 and I'm about to switch the cab to an Aguilar GS112 to add some thickness.

I can't get a new bass - wife won't let me :(
    Right now I have Lindy Fralin's... maybe they are too "vintage-y" for me? I don't know, what do you guys think?

2. anonymous278347457

anonymous278347457 Guest

Feb 12, 2005
    could try some EMGs, they are nice and modern

3. EMG's... sorry man. I've tried them, and I think they would make my jazz sound even more steril then it is now!

4. dimarzio model j's?

5. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    Buy a P. This is why every bass player needs a P and a J.

I recomend that you start by explaining this to your wife, mention that most serious bass players own a P and a J (I'm not sure if that's true, but say like you really mean it..) ...and that the only solution is to buy an American P bass. If that doesn't go over well, tell her that you could get by with MIM P bass for a while. If she still isn't happy about that, then buy an Essex. If she's got a problem with that, then divorce her and buy an American P bass.
    :p

6. MJ5150

MJ5150 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Head over to the pickups forum for lots of good info on your options.

I think this is a good case for Dr. Carey Nordstrand. Take two NJ4SV's, and you won't have to call him in the morning. :D

-Mike

7. Slow down ... This is just a phase you're going through. You'll go through it again until you get another bass.

So for now, leave the bass as is (electronics), just get a set of flats and enjoy the "smooth, super fat, thick n' greasey tone" that you want. Then in 2-3 weeks put the rounds back on and listen to yourself say "Yeah, that's really the tone I want."

Simply put: One bass cannot do it all! Yep, you better talk to the wife :smug:

8. jim1457

jim1457

Mar 29, 2006
    Honolulu Hawaii
    My vote goes to Bartolini for the pickups. But flatwound strings alone would probably do it.

9. I agree with Tim. Get a set of flat-wounds. Not only will your sound get "fat and greasy", it made me re-think much of my technique - in a good way!

I think changing to flats (or from flats to rounds) is one of the cheapest ways to get a fresh sound.

10. +1. Flats on a Jazz is always a good idea. John Paul Jones' tone with Zep was fat and punchy. Rub some fried chicken on there and you'll get greasy too!

11. lamborghini98

lamborghini98 The Aristocrats

May 1, 2005
    NYC; Portland, OR
    If you can't replace the bass and are tired of the same old pickups... why dont you consider doing some routing and puttign in some humbucking soaps?

If not... my vote goes for Nordstrand NJ4SE's.

12. MJ5150

MJ5150 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    That is what I put in my MIA Jazz, and I loved them. Perhaps the new owner may chime in with his opinion of how it sounds.....

-Mike

13. SteveD

SteveD

Feb 20, 2006
    Denver, Colorado
    Flats, yes, but not D'Addario or DR flats. Try the Fenders, or La Bellas. And add more neck pickup, less bridge PU and less presence knob. turn the amp up a little and stay away from the "8-10" area of the pickup knobs. Contact the strings closer to the neck, or even over the 16-20 fret area.

And/or, get a Line 6 Bass POD. Try the Sub Dub amp model, then add a little Danish Driver and lie in the deep, dark tone!

SteveD:cool:

14. GlennStoneOcean

GlennStoneOcean

Nov 25, 2004
    Ireland
    Tell that wife of yours that the guys on talk bass will come to your house and take your TV unless she lets you get a P-bass! It sound like that what you want, smooth and deeper than a Jazz

15. RoVaughn

RoVaughn

Oct 8, 2005
    If your bass is passive get an out board preamp. I got the aguilar DB 950 and it gave my bass that TONE!

16. 4runner

4runner WARNING!"WALL OF DOOM" does "exceed" 140 decibels!

Feb 11, 2006
    Hackensack NJ,
    Hey "Modern Growl",
    This is the first time I've ever heard of anyone,wanting to "get rid" of that Gutt ripping Growl; but that's okay, I just never thought of getting ridd of something, it's taken me so many years to perfect. And, both of my old Fender jazz basses are Sportin "Lindy Fralin" vintage pick-ups. I don't know if changing speakers, will remove that Growlling tone, because it's inherently a part of your bridge pick-up's vantage point. But, if you just need a little more "Balls" down below,on the low end, there's lots you can do! One way is, you can add some kind of a "sub-woofer"[ I hate that term, cuz it's so Cliche]; Low frequency driver, and "designate" a certain amount of power, via Equalizer and power amp, or, cross-over and power amp, and boost up the lows quite a bit. If the wife won't let you do that ["been there"], using just the "neck p/u" has a fat tone; a la the P-bass. I'm getting a nice amount of phat low's and Growl with my rig, using just my "bridge p/u". Click on the Picture of my amp, affectionately called,"THE WALL OF DOOM",and check out my current, or previous equipment list. Theres always a way to boost up the lows.:bassist:

17. SGT. Pepper

SGT. Pepper Banned

Nov 20, 2005
    Phila,Pa.
    Either put flats on your jazz and play with a compression pedal or buy a P-Bass.

18. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    I would spend $100 bucks on an SX Precision or a used MIM Fender Precision, which you could probably get for $150.00 - about the price of a pickup or 2.

19. JKwo

JKwo

Jan 12, 2006
    Berklee
    If your wife isn't too bass-savvy, buy a P in the same color, and whenever you play one, hide the other. :hyper:

20. steamthief

steamthief

Jan 25, 2006
    Mentone Beach
    JKwo, great response! Get the Aguilar, it sounds great.