1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Getting "Signed"

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Thunderthumbs73, Jul 18, 2008.

1. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    Trust me, they will figure out a way to do it with whatever new model that emerges as the standard. Gullible musicians + money = circling sharks.

2. Fli

Fli

Apr 30, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    GODSMACK MADE A FORTUNE SELLING CD'S (OVER 1,000 A WEEK) MADE IN SULLY'S BEDROOM - BEFORE BEING SIGNED

3. GhettoBrassGuy

GhettoBrassGuy Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2002
    Simi Valley, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull, Lakland, Aguilar, JH Audio
    Yep! I suppose we're lucky, but all they are doing is paying. We are using our own contacts and friendships to record out here in LA and in London. Our manager is very well off and could afford to front the money himself and have us pay it back over time.

4. kaputsport

kaputsport

Nov 14, 2007
    Carlisle, PA
    Atypical, not a typical...
    I am in a similer situation with the "on the cuff of being signed".

We fronted the money for recording, and using our own connections, we have gotten Joe Lambert to master it.

Realistically, distribution is what we want more than anything, and major labels can do that for us.

Labels are good for 2 things... Advertising and distribution.

When you get signed, if the product gets "pushed" to radio, tv, movies, etc, you reach an audience you wouldn't normally reach from playing bars and clubs. The label can also distribute your music on to the shelves of your local store.

With iTunes in place, you can also offer your music there, and profit from that 100%.

With a tour in place (hopefully with other well known bands) you reach millions of people, and springboard to the big time.... If you are good enough.

The DIY people can make a living...

Zelazowa is an international band, based in Philadelphia PA. They have toured europe, and the US, with no support. They played over 400 shows in 3 years in 15 countries.

2 pairs of brothers... One goal.

Guess it can be done.

5. JmJ

JmJ

Jan 1, 2008
    NYC
    You can be signed to a major label & still get jacked.
    Two friends of mine were signed to two different major labels. Neither one of them got much, if any, support/promotion/advertising. Getting signed means congratulations you are at step one. It never meant job security in any way. One young lady sang like an angel/devil but they "did not know how to market her" so they did nothing. My other friends band was given a few small (two weeks out) tours opening for some major but older acts & were told that they could not sell their CD's at shows guaranteeing they lose money on the road. Major labels like sony will sign a ton of acts, promote none & see who makes them money. The ones that don't will be used as a loss/write off. For the big labels it's like playing the lottery for free. The sad fact is they don't give a flying f**k if they destroy peoples careers as long as they make money. Glad to see that Karma is biting them back now.

6. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

Yup - I was in a band signed to EMI in the UK - they liked our demos and signed us up - but after re-recording everything with a 'name' producer, they no longer liked it and didn't do any promotion ! :meh:

We were stuck for 2 years where we couldn't do anything else and the money ran out to make any more recordings - killed the band!

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 18, 2021