Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Getting Slap sound to cut through?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Deano Destructo, Jul 24, 2002.

1. Deano Destructo

Deano Destructo Music Man/Upton addict. Hasn't slept since 1979. Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I own a Warwick Thumb N/T 5 string that I can't seem to get the d and g strings to cut through in a live or practice setting when slapping. Is it possible to raise the pickups a little too high even though they're not touching the strings?:confused: :(Could this be whats killing my sound?

2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

The classic way to do this is to use a very light gauge of D and G with normal or heavier E and A.
    Rotosound actually used to produce special Mark King sets for slapping that had medium E and A plus super-light D and G! :eek:

3. How are you eq'ing your amp? What kind of music do you guys play. You may be missing some mids in your overall bass eq - I've given up trying to use a soloed bass tone that sounds pretty, am finding out that the "fugly"-sounding tone more often than not cuts through the mix

4. Yep.

Odds are, if you're like 90% of players out there, you think: "OK, I'm slapping, better scoop my mids."

The low mids, especially, help you get girth that cuts through the mix.

5. this is purely speculation, but assume that if the the pickups are too high, the magnets will interfere with the string vibrations...somehow...

6. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    yeah boost the lows when slapping... that will give a good ballsy slap tone...