Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Getting some sort of effect and need some suggestions.....

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by IanthePez, Aug 18, 2000.

1. IanthePez

IanthePez

May 29, 2000
    I am planning on getting some sort of effect for my bass just cause I want to do something different :) I want something that sounds cool and is just fun to play. I was thinking about getting a wah pedal. My choice right now would be Snarling Dog Bawl Buster for $130. I would consider buying another effect if you are good an convicing me it would be cool, but I really want to hear opinions on this and other wah pedals :)

Pez

2. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    Ok you got me sorry.

The Snarling Dog stuff is ok, but I have only heard it not played it. Try http://harmonycentral.com and go to the effects database. Read all the stuff objectively and try it for your self as well.

The wah for guitar at the moment seems to be the bud wah but they are scarce in UK as with most good stuff!!!!!

Right having not sufficiently answered your question heres some answers to questions you didn't ask.

Envelope Filter! Its an autowah as used by the great funk bassists. Examples are

Boss AW? the discontinued FT2 is better.
    Dod something stay away
    EH Qtron
    Mutron III
    Lovetone meatball

The last two are serious money. Bass Central (.com) had the Mutron and Lovetone (.com) only sell direct (from UK)

Lastly you are bored and need an effect.

You have an instrument that can be plucked slapped tapped played like a piano played fast slow quavers triplets and 16's played over the neck over the p/u's and bridge harmonics at 12 9 7 5 4 3 2.5 and weird one just past the nut. False harmonics 12 frets up to your fretting finger, have I made the point? Oh chords!

Ok to be blunt you make the bass sound different your fingers, if you have mastered all of the above and more you are MUCH better than me.

All of the above is entirely my opinion which is normally proved to be wrong by Bruce Lindfield and at least one moderator. I hope you get as much out of bass playing as I do (which is down to this board ah theres a tear in my eye)

The last paragraph was a joke so :) :D

3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I'd try a Boss CEB3 Chorus if I were you.

4. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    try
    eh bassballs filter
    eh big muff sustainer distortion
    tc electronics flanger,chorus,pitch all in one pedal
    lovetone pedals are really great but much expensive
    crybaby bass wah

5. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    BOSS has the new AW-3 (autowah) with a dedicated bass input and a new humanizer effect :cool: , but it's not supposed to be in stores 'til December :(

6. Dox

Dox

Aug 17, 2000
    Millville, New Jersey
    My suggestions are staying away from autowahs I don't liek them. I like the optionof opening and closing the wah. I hear Vox makes the best wahs, but I have only heard one for guitar.

7. anubis101

anubis101 Guest

Aug 31, 2000
    Nacogdoches, Tx
    if you are going to get a wah get the dunlop crybaby wah(the white one). it rocks!! if you wanna get something big, try the digitech BP-8 bass pre-amp proccessor

8. 6-stringer

6-stringer Guest

Feb 5, 2000
    Roanoke,VA
    Why not try a multi-effects unit, like a zoom, DOD, or Digitech? You can see which effects work for you, without sinking a whole bunch into seperate pedals. If all you want is a wha or envelope, try a moogerfooger. They are great for bass, and can double as a wha by using an optional expresion pedal. Well worth the $.

9. Nails

Nails

Jun 4, 2000
    Austin, Tejas
    How about a Phaser, Flanger, or Delay? The MXR Phase 90 is amazing (or if you want more than one knob it's big brother the Phase 100 has 2, I've never played with one so I don't know how it sounds though.) The Boss BF-2 Flanger is also fun to play with, it doesn't apply alot of effect on the low end, but sounds great up high. And I'm using a Danelectro Dan-Echo, but delay on bass doesn't fit into alot of songs. Of course those are all "guitar pedals", and there may be better "bass versions" that do the same thing out there somewhere, but these are just some suggestions to get you started. Out of those three I push for the Phase 90, it's cool sounding, easy to operate (1 knob one the thing, how could it be hard?), and can fit into alot of songs.

Hope that rambling through effects I use helps you out, and keep us posted on what you get.

Nails

10. sgraham

sgraham

Aug 30, 2000
    Tyler, TX
    I'll second the opinion on the MXR Phase 90. I think
    they sound great on bass. Also, the Electro-Harmonix
    Bassballs is great for funk, and there's a distortion
    switch to further enhance the talk/wah effect.

11. Having one of the above mentioned Boss FT-2 and i can tell you it works rather well with bass, you can also plug an expression pedal into it and use it as a regular wah. It can make both wahs and aows, the opposite, by simply switching from up to "down" mode.

I Also have a Boss BF-2 Flanger and as someone above stated it works fine with bass but only applies the effect on the higher register of the sound. You can also use it as a chorus if you want to, its wilder than the Boss CEB-3.. yes i have one of those to ;)

Now Someone was saying something about the MoogerFooger and i am a bit curious if anyone has tried it out, which one of them it was and how it sounded and so on :)

Ok hope this helped someone :)