Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Getting something to sound like my Hoppus bass....

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BillyBishop, Jul 10, 2002.

1. BillyBishop

BillyBishop

Feb 7, 2001
    Canada
    I'm looking for a backup bass that sounds like my Hoppus bass...I'm considering just buying a mexican p-bass and putting an SD Quarter Pounder in it, but heres my question - My hoppus bass has a jazz bass body with a precision pickup in it, and its string through at the bridge...so would a p-bass with QP's sound much different than it? How much does the string through and the shape of the body change the sound? Thanks.

2. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    A P-Bass with a QTR-PND'er would sound almost the same as it.

3. Yup, a P bass with QPs and the tone zero'ed out. Adjust yuor EQ from your amp, and you you should hit the tone dead on. The body shape has nothing to do with the sound or tone.

I can tell no difference between through body stringing and regular bridge stringing.

4. If i had a standard P with a quarter pounder in it, trhe hoppus sig would be my backup.

5. EEbass04

EEbass04

Dec 28, 2001
    Lee's Summit:MO
    You should be able to get it sound the same just the way you said. Only difference is less sustain...

6. BillyBishop

BillyBishop

Feb 7, 2001
    Canada
    Ummmm why?

7. String-thru bodies typically have more resonance and sustain as opposed to top-loaders. A good drop-in replacement part is the BadAssII bridge. Add one & that P + QP = "listen...the sustain!" (Sorry, had to work in the Spinal Tap reference.)

8. the hoppus bass would be my backup also. i like the jazz body shape better, but the standard p would have a piece of electronics very important to me......a tone circuit.