1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Getting spaced out! (space rock effects)

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by bassmusic17, Jun 29, 2014.

1. bassmusic17

bassmusic17

Jan 15, 2011
    Im wanting to add a couple new pedals to my arsenal, looking to get even more spaced out. I have a Digitech RDS 1900 rack delay but I am thinking I need another delay probably analog to darken things up a bit. Here's how my board sits now...

[​IMG]

Im probably gonna knock off the EHX pedals. I am not overly joyed about getting rid of my small stone, but I don't use phaser all that much. I want to either add a delay like the Ibanez Echo Shifter (love the built in oscillation). Or wait for that new Fuzzrocious Reverb with built in oscillation and adding a small delay pedal like a Disaster Transport Jr. Just wonder if anyone into the space rock world has thoughts on this or any other ideas. Any input is appreciated!

2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    First thing that comes to mind after a good delay, is phaser. I wouldn't lose that.

sillyfabe likes this.
  3. Definitely more delay, plus more pitch shifting and maybe some detuning, maybe a polytope?

4. bassmusic17

bassmusic17

Jan 15, 2011
    I just ordered a Bass Whammy so I got that taken care of.

5. omie

omie Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2011
    Arizona
    No long phaser sweep?! This is crazy talk.

6. Mosfed

Mosfed

Apr 21, 2013
    Chamonix Mont-Blanc
    Partner - CCP Pedals
    One of my favorite spacey sounds is a Mu-Tron or other killer envelope filter like a Moog MF-101. You can then get those crazy Bootsy Collins space wah sounds.

I do love a good Phase though although I find it gets me closer to synth sounds than spacey sounds

7. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
    The new EHX B9 Organ Machine could be worth checking out. No demos around on bass yet, but it has a clean blend, plus one if the presets is named 'bottom end', so it should rock. Mine's on the way!

8. bassmusic17

bassmusic17

Jan 15, 2011
    Yeah I don't really want to take my phaser off but I think I could get more spacey with some delay oscillation and reverb. More ethereal space and less lasery-synthy space.

9. triviani

triviani

Oct 23, 2010
    I like the Small Stone more on guitar, for bass sounds I found that the Small Clone can add a very nice "pulse" to soundscapes, not just chorus sounds.

Dispatch Master also comes to mind, and EQD is soon to launch a new reverb, with a lot of control and infinite decay.

I also have a lot, lot of fun with the sound-on-sound mode of the Capistan.

10. bassmusic17

bassmusic17

Jan 15, 2011
    Yeah I was eyeing the dispatch master pretty good. I really want something that has some pretty intense oscillation as well.

11. The new Fairfield delay has some intense oscillation.

12. bassmusic17

bassmusic17

Jan 15, 2011
    I'll check it out! Any demos out yet?

13. This is the only one I know of for bass:
    It gives you a pretty good idea. There's a Fairfield thread here and a pretty good discussion of the delay over on The Gear Page with some guitar clips.

14. There's also this unit, which looks pretty dope:

15. bassmusic17

bassmusic17

Jan 15, 2011
    Wow that was sweet! Pretty awkward spot for the oscillation button though.

16. bassmusic17

bassmusic17

Jan 15, 2011
    I went to look this up but couldn't find it.

17. Yeah. Definitely a tough spot. But it was a custom job so it may have been what the player was looking for. Definitely a good spot in the middle there.

If you like those oscillation switches you should also check out the Caroline Kilobyte, SolidGoldFX Electroman, and the impressive EAR AD4096.

18. bassmusic17

bassmusic17

Jan 15, 2011
    Definitely a fan of the oscillation switch.

19. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
    If you want controllable oscillation, I use an MXR Carbon Copy mounted sideways. I can easily tweak the delay time and feedback knobs with the side of my foot to control the spaceship noises while I play bass. I then run that into a phaser (previously a Small Stone, now a Phase 90). There are some out there with expression control too like the EHX Memory Boy.

20. bassmusic17

bassmusic17

Jan 15, 2011
    The kilobyte is pretty cool. I wish it had longer delay time for it being a digital unit.